Adding storage to 11.1 Rancher VM

cbrherms

Dabbler
Hey all.

So, I had a pass at making the change over from Corral to 11 today (I was one of those where corral was still working fine for my uses so I didn't jump on 11 from the start).

Got as far as having the new RancherOS VM installed, the UI set up and it talking to the host correctly, but I was unable to get storage set up properly.

NFS was shared correctly in FreeNAS itself I believe. I have 2 datasets, one called docker which houses my container configs and such, and another data dataset that was also shared. I was able to mount these on an Ubuntu machine I have and browse the data with write permissions.

So, question is, has anyone put together a guide that continues on from where the FreeNAS documentation leaves off? Feels a bit like it's cut short when it doesn't explain how to add storage and such.

Any help appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

KrisBee

Wizard
I should preface my comment by saying I have only made brief use of this in an all Linux environment were you can define the NFS export with "no root squash" and it works OK. I've yet to see if/how this works on FreeNAS.

But, if you've got as far as setting up the rancher-service and agent to enable use of the RancherUI, then the next steps are to;

1. Install the "Rancher-NFS" service from the catalog
2. Create volume(s) for your docker containers to use either via "Infrastructure -> Storage -> Add Volume", or during the creation of a container, which uses the NFS service.

The Rancher-NFS service works with a NFSv4 server. For simplicity, say your NFS server "host:export" is "192.168.0.20:/nfs" and you use the RancherUi to create a volume called "myshare" that points to this server, then Rancher itself creates a folder called "myshare" on your NFS server. So you would expect to see "/nfs/myshare" on your server.

This ref: http://www.breekeenbeen.nl/2017/06/08/rancher-and-rancher-nfs-simple-how-to/
goes through the basics.

Last edited:

KrisBee

Wizard
OK, found time to install rancheros + rancher-server etc on my old AMD PC for test purposes.

The result, unless I've made a total hash of using Rancher-NFS, is it does not appear to work in FreeNAS 11.1 Could be my error, but I've not yet found a combo of export options, NFS version and dataset/share perms that allows a volume to be create within the RancherUI using the Rancher-NFS driver.

Last edited:

mow4cash

Contributor
OK, found time to install rancheros + rancher-server etc on my old AMD PC for test purposes.

The result, unless I've made a total hash of using Rancher-NFS, is it does not appear to work in FreeNAS 11.1 Could be my error, but I've not yet found a combo of export options, NFS version and dataset/share perms that allows a volume to be create within the RancherUI using the Rancher-NFS driver.
Did you ever figure out how to get NFS to work? I'm trying to do the same.

jdabb

Dabbler
anyone get this to work im trying to add a second dataset that is shared (nfs).