Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Adding new hard drive to mirror

Can I add new empty hard drive to existing pool (with data) with only one drive?
We should copy data from existing pool and continue working in mirror without data loss.

Chris Moore

Super Moderator
Can I add new empty hard drive to existing pool (with data) with only one drive?
We should copy data from existing pool and continue working in mirror without data loss.
There is no facility for this in the GUI. It is possible, but it would need to be done from the command line. Do you have SSH access setup to communicate with your FreeNAS system? Are you fairly comfortable working in the command line?

Too bad there is no GUI for this. Anyhow please try to explain to me step by step what to do in order to keep data.

Chris Moore

Super Moderator

melloa

FreeNAS Expert
Too bad there is no GUI for this. Anyhow please try to explain to me step by step what to do in order to keep data.
Also, please, read the forum rules.

I quote:

Don't forget to use the search box in the top right to look for existing solutions to your problem. This saves time for everyone, including the person who needs an answer.

Similar to the OP, I have a single drive FreeNAS system with 1 8TB drive and need to add a mirror redundancy or RAID type system to back up my data. I have purchased an identical 8TB drive and am running 11.2-U5.

When I read this thread, I am getting confused if I can add a drive for mirroring in the new GUI, need to use the old interface, a command prompt, or which set of instructions to follow. I'm familiar with the command prompt and GUI.

I'll apologize in advance to those forum members who will be annoyed with my question. I have suffered a traumatic brain injury and have concentration and cognitive challenges and am facing a lengthy recovery.

Yes, I have read the forum rules, but am reaching out to the community for help since I have no experience with FreeNAS prior to 11.2 release and am getting a mental block with this process and have been trying to work thru the process for over a month. Prior to my injury this would not have been an issue.

Thanks in advance

Chris Moore

Super Moderator
I can add a drive for mirroring in the new GUI,
No. There is no feature to add a mirror to an existing single drive through the GUI.
You must use the command line to do it. Read through the thread that was linked. All the instructions are there.
You need to configure SSH so you can have command line access to the system