Added Interface- Lost Network Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

slappula

Cadet
Noob mistake. I was trying to follow the directions in the wiki to create a new Interface in order to change the network settings from 100Mbps to 1000. I added a new Interface and all I put in was the Interface Name and 'media 1000baseTX mediaopt full-duplex' in the Options field. It was late and I wasn't thinking and hit Save/Create. None of the other fields were filled in. I immediately lost connectivity to my NAS. I can't connect via the web or SSH. The machine is headless (HP MediaSmart EX490), so going into the console isn't an option.

So...two questions:

1) Is there any way to fix this? Could I hook the main drive up to my Windows machine and delete something to fix it?

2) If not, could I just do a fresh install of FreeNAS and still get to my data drive (will the new install recognize it)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

*Edit: I was able to do a fresh install on another drive and used the Import Volume function. I guess now I'm wondering if there is a safer way to modify my NIC card speed without killing the installation...

peterh

Patron
you don't create a new interface in order to change it's settings. That's where you broke it.
The "right way" is to "ifconfig <existing if> " prefferable through a ssh session until
you know if it will work, then you do the same through the GUI. That way you could
recover by power-cycling. ( connecting a screen and keyboard IS the preffered way )

And freebsd will use 1Gb if the interface supports it AND the other endpoint allows, there is
no need for manual "configuring" on order to get 1Gb working.

Status
Not open for further replies.