Add Cloud Flare as a dynamic DNS provider

D

dlavigne

If you decide to make the actual feature request at bugs.freenas.org, post the issue number here.

ovizii

Patron
I just checked the ticket above and found this:

Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> BRB: There are already 14 different dydns providers in the drop-down - we're loathe to add more. A git pull request might be accepted if someone else wishes to do this.

Cloudflare is not just a DYNDNS provider, its one of the best and biggest CDNs around and many people use it simply because of its totally free DNS Management interface which is awesome. So if one already manages his domains there one could simply use a sub/domain one owns for dyndns instead of the "free" variant the existing 14 providers offer.

So I do see the purpose of adding Cloudflare but I'm not a coder so I cannot contribute, just wanted to clarify the initial request.

Rabin

Dabbler
Cloudflare is not just a DYNDNS provider, its one of the best and biggest CDNs around and many people use it simply because of its totally free DNS Management interface which is awesome. So if one already manages his domains there one could simply use a sub/domain one owns for dyndns instead of the "free" variant the existing 14 providers offer.
Thank you, that was exactly what i was trying to say.

So I do see the purpose of adding Cloudflare but I'm not a coder so I cannot contribute, just wanted to clarify the initial request.
I'm not a coder my self, but I work as SysAdmin, and I have good understanding in coding.
If any one can point me to the right place, or a commit which added a DynDNS provider in the past, I can replicate the possess for CF as well.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You can use a manual setup to get it working for the time being. If you want a real drop down selection open a bug at bugs.freenas.org

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Looks like you can't add them manually, thought that option would be in the gui since it's a simple catch all. Most people would use ddns on their router not on freenas, do you have that option?

ovizii

Patron
ahm, yes, it would be an option but what router comes with Cloudflare support?
we're not looking for a workaround, just suggesting a useful addition, at least from my perspective.
I can run a cron job inside a jail with the suggested solution by rabin. works fine.

m0nkey_

MVP