SOLVED AD connection fails, SMB share can't be accessed - Fixed!

berrick

Explorer
Hi All,

Looking for ideas/help pls.

This NAS has been working fine for a long time. How every after a DC and NAS restart the NAS cant join AD and thus we cant access the share.

Build FreeNAS-9.10.2-U4 (27ae72978)
Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31270 @ 3.40GHz
Memory 16327MB

Looking at the boot log after one of the NAS reboots we could see the same messages as posted by Ben Smith in his post in this thread
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/domain-controller-service-will-not-start.48996/

From reading this thread it seems this was a bug. HOWEVER, one of the other checks performed on this NAS was name resolution and it didn't work so wondered if this fact plus that the computer account in AD was disabled may actually be to blame?

When checking the network config it had the correct IP for the local DNS server BUT the network summary tab, and relevant conf file, have the DNS server IP as 127.0.0.1 (loopback address). Changing this to the local DNS IP allows name lookup to work correctly. The difficulty hear is that this change gets over written on a subsequent reboots.

Look forward to replies

TIA

berrick

Explorer
OK, problem sorted.

A very brief overview of what I did

When I had manually entered the IP of the local DNS server into resolv.conf I was able to get name resolution to work and upgraded Freenas to the latest 9.10 but this made no difference. Couldn't enable Active Directory. I downgrade the code to a really early saved boot image and after it came up I was able to enable Active Directory and enter the admin password and all was working.

At this point a took a break, as the heat was off and whilst having a well earned (I thought any way) cuppa it dawned on me that a reason the DNS entry was being over written with 127.0.0.1 might be because FreeNAS was acting as a DC. Sure enough someone had enabled the DC service and configured it. I blanked all the entries and turned it off.

Rebooted. all was still working. Reactivated the latest boot image running 9.10.2-U6 and rebooted. It now booted without issue (as far as I can tell) wbinfo -t said all was working and sure enough I could access the windows shares on the NAS from a dom joined computer.