SOLVED Active Directory Failed to load after reinstall

Quiltface

Dabbler
I tried updating my freenas instance from 11.1 to 11.2 and it broke pretty good.
So I reinstalled back to 11.1 u6.3 and restored my config and did all the updates

I noticed I couldnt get into my shares because freenas couldnt connect to AD.

I tried rebuild cache... tried clicking enable and saving to re establish it... and i keep getting the following error.

Sep 6 18:45:30 freenas uwsgi: [middleware.exceptions:36] [MiddlewareError: Active Directory failed to reload.]

What is interesting is if I delete my computer object for freenas from AD and try this process again it WILL add the computer object back into AD.
I am able to ping my domain name from the shell as well.

What am I missing here?

Sep 6 18:44:39 freenas ActiveDirectory: /usr/local/bin/python /usr/local/bin/midclt call notifier.stop cifs
Sep 6 18:44:41 freenas ActiveDirectory: /usr/sbin/service ix-hostname quietstart
Sep 6 18:44:42 freenas ActiveDirectory: /usr/sbin/service ix-kerberos quietstart default DOMAIN.LOCAL
Sep 6 18:44:44 freenas ActiveDirectory: /usr/sbin/service ix-nsswitch quietstart
Sep 6 18:44:45 freenas ActiveDirectory: /usr/sbin/service ix-ldap quietstart
Sep 6 18:44:45 freenas ActiveDirectory: /usr/sbin/service ix-kinit quietstart
Sep 6 18:44:50 freenas ActiveDirectory: /usr/sbin/service ix-kinit status
Sep 6 18:44:50 freenas ActiveDirectory: /usr/local/bin/python /usr/local/bin/midclt call notifier.start cifs
Sep 6 18:44:56 freenas ActiveDirectory: /usr/sbin/service ix-activedirectory quietstart
Sep 6 18:45:06 freenas ActiveDirectory: /usr/sbin/service ix-activedirectory status
Sep 6 18:45:07 freenas ActiveDirectory: /usr/local/bin/python /usr/local/bin/midclt call notifier.stop cifs
Sep 6 18:45:09 freenas ActiveDirectory: /usr/local/bin/python /usr/local/bin/midclt call notifier.start cifs
Sep 6 18:45:15 freenas ActiveDirectory: /usr/sbin/service ix-pam quietstart
Sep 6 18:45:16 freenas ActiveDirectory: /usr/sbin/service ix-cache quietstart &
Sep 6 18:45:30 freenas uwsgi: [middleware.exceptions:36] [MiddlewareError: Active Directory failed to reload.]

Last edited:

Quiltface

Dabbler
No not yet...

Quiltface

Dabbler
Soooo I figured it out a while back, decided to post...
First I tried installing a new VM of freenas 11.2 and tried to see if i could join AD that way... and I could and could see my user accounts as expected.
So I reinstalled my freenas server... again, this time with 11.2 (was on 11.1 before) and tried to join AD without restoring my config... (my idea was to just rebuild the whole thing)

Well it wouldn't join, computer account gets created in AD but the same error... AD failing to load kept coming up.

Made sure I could resolve dns from freenas server, removed all dns records forward and reverse... tried changing the IP and the hostname of the freenas server... no luck.

What's left but time... time on freenas was 5 minutes different than AD. (AD was actually wrong, getting time from host)
Once I fixed that, tried again and voila...

The reason the freenas VM I created worked is because it was getting its time from the host (same as the DC's at the time which are VMs) so there wasn't a variance there.