ACL not accessible for root folder on imported pool?

Fattyfatbox

Cadet
Hey all you lovely people, hope you're having a wonderful day...

Now I'm a bit of a Freenas beginner, even though I've been using it for years, I never did anything more than the initial set up to use for backups and movies.
Although I would like to look at some of the plugins and automation available at some point soon, I think I may need to get the below issue sorted first.

I recently upgraded from Version 9.1 to 11.3 and have been having an absolute nightmare trying to get the permissions sorted for the existing pool I imported over ((as well as the total failure of the upgrade), long story short, something was incompatible within my settings, so as soon as I tried to restore from the saved data base file It would just hang at the gmirror system setup during boot and go no further, but I digress)
After finally getting 11.3 installed I imported the pre existing pool over and went about setting things up, but here's where my main issue is...
I can create and modify everything 2 levels under the /mnt folder (for example, mine goes /mnt/Raidical/child folders(x12)), but not the parent folder (Raidical in my case). This means I have had to set each one up individually, but as this contains 12 individual child folders it takes time, not to mention the mess that is the initial file explorer window. Plus there's no modifying things later on if I needed. I was thinking of moving them all into one of the child folders and delete the rest for ease of searching, but I cant. When I go into the windows shares (SMB), the Edit ACL is greyed out, saying root dataset ACLs cannot be edited, but I know I had changed it with the previous install of 9.1 (I distinctly remember changing the name of the root folder).
So is this a restriction that 11.3 has enforced?
Is there another way around this other than backing everything up (yes, which I know I should have done prior to upgrading, but I don't have enough spare room on any drive and can't afford to buy any either) and then destroying the lot and creating a new pool?
Or have I messed something up past the point of return?

System specs are as follows;

HP Z400 lga1366 motherboard (with an Intel gigabit NIC)
Intel Xeon W3550
24gigs of ECC memory
Radeon HD5450 (system won't post without a video out)
5 x 3TB WD red HDDs (the imported pool)
Seagate 750GB, 5400rpm boot drive (its all I had since USBs were not being detected as a boot drive (part of the nightmare install process))

Hopefully someone can help, and if I have missed anything or something doesn't quite make sense (which is more than likely in my current state) then I really don't mind elaborating upon or answering again.

Thanks heaps in advance for the assist :D

Fattyfatbox

Cadet
CLI tools (setfacl, chmod, winacl) still work for the top-level dataset.

Aaahhh, So I can change permissions through the Shell?

Looks like I'll be going down that avenue then.
If I get stuck I'll try searching through the forums again.

Thanks Anodos,

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Aaahhh, So I can change permissions through the Shell?

Looks like I'll be going down that avenue then.
If I get stuck I'll try searching through the forums again.

Thanks Anodos,
To recursively set ACLs from the shell, you can use "setfacl" to modify the permissions of your share and then use "winacl" to recursively apply the permissions changes. winacl -a clone -rv -p /mnt/tank/. Winacl will stop at dataset boundaries by default (though verify for yourself).