access FreeNas GUI from different network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahamady SANGLA

Dabbler
hello ,
my freenas has been installed on VMware server in a 6th floor of my lab building on different network the ip of the Vm ip is 140.113.87.188
the installations goes ssmoothly and freenas provide the ip 192.168.101.118
my computer is on the 7th floor with the ip 140.113.88.202 but i can not access freenas GUI ( can not reach the ip 192.168.101.118 rom my computer )
how can i solve this problem ?
thanks

Whattteva

Wizard
You need to set up port forwarding on whatever machine is doing the NAT for the FreeNAS.
192.168.x.x IP address is not routable outside of the internal network.

You are trying to access it from 140.113.88.202, which is an actual routable IP on the Internet. Hence, the need for port forwarding.

Mahamady SANGLA

Dabbler
we dont have NAT in the 6th floor.. so that means we need to build a new one there ? or another solution if applicable ?
thanks for u help

Whattteva

Wizard
There has to be one in order for that machine to have a 192.168.101.118 address unless you set that up on your own manually.
Since you mentioned that it's set up on a VMWare Server. My guess is that's the one doing the NAT.
Run this command on the FreeNAS machine:
Code:
netstat -rn

That should give you an output of your routing table.
Pay attention to the table that has the label Internet:
That should tell you your subnet mask (something like 192.168.101.0/24).
The default destination should tell you your default gateway (something like 192.168.101.1).

You need to find out what machine is linked to that default gateway IP address. That machine is most likely the one performing the NAT service.

Mahamady SANGLA

Dabbler
ok this is what i get from the command so i need to find the machine link to 192.168.101.254 and then do the port forwading ??
nas1.PNG

Whattteva

Wizard
That's correct.
I would start with the VMWare server.
It most likely has two IP Addresses, something like 141..113.88.x and 192.168.101.254

Mahamady SANGLA

Dabbler
yes i success to do the port fowarding and also i change my freenas ip to choose a public one so i can access it anywhere .. is it a good idea ???
thanks for help

Whattteva

Wizard
It would depend on what you are trying to forward. If you're forwarding SSH or OpenVPN, those are relatively safe to open to the Internet (this is especially true if you use certificate-based authentication only).
Other things like Telnet or FTP, you're just asking for trouble since those protocols are highly insecure by default (they transfer data unencrypted in plain-text).

Mahamady SANGLA

Dabbler
ok cool got u
one more question i need to write an I/O event monitor to trace the file activity in the NAS ( read write update etc) but i dont know where to write or even how to write it
i already download the source code of freenas but there is a bunch of directory ...

Whattteva

Wizard
Not sure if I understand what you're asking.
Do you mean something like FTP logs? Those are already generated by default and can be found at /var/log/xferlog

Mahamady SANGLA

Dabbler
i mean i wanna write or create an I/O event monitor so that i can know if i file as been modified ( write , read or update )
i am not quite familiar with I/O or is the log is suffisant for that
the purpose is that i want to propagate the file store in cloud so need to choose the right file to upload in the cloud like does a cloud storage gateway

Whattteva

Wizard
You want to monitor the entire filesystem? That may be something at the kernel level. Someone else will need to help you there.

If it's just certain files, that's probably a lot easier to do. I think you could even use ownCloud plugin. I've never used it, but a quick glance on the feature list suggests that it supports file versioning, which is essentially the same as an I/O log really.

Mahamady SANGLA

Dabbler
yes need to monitor the entire filesystem
ok i will make some survey on the owncloud plugin to have more informations

Mahamady SANGLA

Dabbler
i can not access the log
i type this command /var/log i get "permission denied" same with /var/log/xferlog
how i solve this problem ?

Whattteva

Wizard
type cat /var/log/xferlog

Whattteva

Wizard
That's the contents. I guess you haven't used the FTP yet, so that's the only thing in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.