A way to improve the forum :

jbesclapez

Dabbler
Hello there,

I am a noob at FreeNas.
I am coming from XPenology NAS which was a lot of tweaks/changes to do too...
I ran for years on hackintosh and build my own...
So has you can see, I am a noob in FreeNAS but kind of IT literrate.
I do not keep up with hardware changes though...

I would like to have a section in the forum BUYERS GUIDE, exactly like they have on the site : https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/building-a-customac-hackintosh-the-ultimate-buyers-guide/
When you have this, the end user can simply pick parts that will work together.
Most of the home users will work on ATX or ITX... but it is covered too!

As I was telling before I am not hardware literrate to build it myself, but it would be an nice improvement.
It will open FREENAS to more noobs and help them switch to it.

Cheers

Heracles

Wizard
Hi,

I am not hardware literrate to build it myself

The easiest way to achieve a professional system would be to buy a professional enterprise-grade server. If you look at Dell, they have the T-1xx serie that is pretty cheap even brand new. You can also look for some used servers at re-sale price. That way, you can get very professionnal stuff without paying that much. In fact, some of these professionnal servers will end up cheaper than buying multiple separate pieces and glueing them together.

NickF

Guru
There is a hardware guide from IX officially:

Additionally there is a community guide:

Dismayed

Dabbler
I've saved a couple of potential build components in private 'Wish Lists' at Newegg.com. Perhaps we could publish public wishlists and create links so that folks could look at what's needed for various builds. Perhaps a page here could group the links by intended use, such as low volume home file servers, NAS with Plex, etc. I can't volunteer because i'm too much of a newbie.

Dismayed

Dabbler
Getting started is a bit daunting. The community guide is very good (I was aware if the iXsystems guide, but not of the community guide until now), but there are a lot of permutations possible when specing a system. I went to Crucial Technologies to sort out which RAM modules would work with my selected motherboard. The ideal would be a configurator that would offer up compatible choices based on hardware selected, and there are a few vendors that build systems that offer that. But the vendor hardware choices are pretty limited, and building and maintaining such a configuration engine would be asking for a lot. So perhaps it's best to take a stab and specing a system and then asking for advice on this forum.

NickF

Guru
If you want to volunteer your time researching and then creating a web app to do what you propose I don't think anyone will stop you, but the fact is IXSystems sells servers and is not in the business nof helping us in such an endeavour and would ultimately be a community effort

Dismayed

Dabbler
If you want to volunteer your time researching and then creating a web app to do what you propose I don't think anyone will stop you, but the fact is IXSystems sells servers and is not in the business nof helping us in such an endeavour and would ultimately be a community effort

To whom are you directing your comment? I believe that I made my position clear:

. . . building and maintaining such a configuration engine would be asking for a lot. So perhaps it's best to take a stab and specing a system and then asking for advice on this forum.

jbesclapez

Dabbler
Thank you all for all your input.
I was mentioning to directly point at parts for budget/medium/high end servers because then users like me will have the same models than other users on this forum. We will follow your guidance and create a hardware communitty for this specific hardware... Make the research of info better.
No need to update the builds every month, once per quarter or half a year is enough.
Thats all! :smile:
Thanks again