9.3 to 11.2

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Can I pull my RAID HDDs out and reinstall 11.1 on the DOM, then relink the pools to my data?
You can do a fresh install of FreeNAS on the boot media. After that is complete, you should have no trouble importing the pool, as long as nothing has happened to damage the data in the pool. Taking the data disks out while doing a fresh install might be a good precaution, but it should not be strictly needed, as long as you don't try to install to one of them.

You can download the ISO here if you need it:
https://download.freenas.org/11/latest/x64/

BamBamm

Patron
Nothing there... This is still on the 9.3 version. I haven't upgraded yet.

Attachments

• FreeNas_5.jpg
    FreeNas_5.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 298

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Nothing there... This is still on the 9.3 version. I haven't upgraded yet.
That is just not populating properly. There should be something there, even if it only had the one entry for 9.3. There is always the GRUB menu when you are booting up. The initial menu will only have a couple items, but if you choose to change, it should show you a list of all the other boot environments on a sub menu.

BamBamm

Patron
That is just not populating properly. There should be something there, even if it only had the one entry for 9.3. There is always the GRUB menu when you are booting up. The initial menu will only have a couple items, but if you choose to change, it should show you a list of all the other boot environments on a sub menu.
No, it doesn't give an option to load any version. It asks if I want to load a single user or a multi-user. Then it gives the option to manually set the ip and a couple other options but nothing for loading another version.

BamBamm

Patron
You can do a fresh install of FreeNAS on the boot media. After that is complete, you should have no trouble importing the pool, as long as nothing has happened to damage the data in the pool.

Is there anything "special" I should do during the install? I can still use the wizard right? Can I use the original name? My previous install was called "storage1" mnt Business

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I can still use the wizard right?
No. The wizard will try to create a new pool, which would erase your existing data. You want to import your existing pool after the installation. Once you do that, you may be able to recover your previous share configuration from the configuration database backup location within the pool.

https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.1/storage.html#import-volume
Can I use the original name? My previous install was called "storage1" mnt Business
The storage pool does not need to be renamed. If you do nothing to change it, when you import the pool, all your data will still be where it was.

If you are able to recover your configuration database, that will recover the shares that had been previously configured. Otherwise, you may need to manually reconfigure sharing.

BamBamm

Patron
Thank you. I will see how bad I screw this up when I get home.

BamBamm

Patron
I am trying to install 11.U7 but it doesn't load a GUI, it keeps going to a mountroot: prompt.

ryanakata

Explorer
Can I pull my RAID HDDs out and reinstall 11.1 on the DOM, then relink the pools to my data?

Yes, I assume you have a good config backup?

Chris can interject if needed, but you should be able to start fresh on 11.1 or 11.2 and import the pool. The new UI has a new method for creating jails which I actually find easier since you can just change some parameters and drop some commands in. If you're running Plex or some others then you can probably carry over all your settings etc.

Step 1 us get your data accessible again though. Get on 11.2 or 11.1, load a backup or start fresh and import your existing pools. Understand what you are doing on each step to ensure you don't nuke your data.

BamBamm

Patron
I have gotten the system to upgrade to 11.2. For some reason, 11.1U7 didn't take. How do I import my old pools/data?

Thank You

koudy

Cadet
Hi, I'm running 9.3 and want to update to 11.2, auto update isn't working, "Update Server could not be reached", tried some solutions here with DNS and default gateways etc, but didn't helped. Manual update also isn't possible https://www.ixsystems.com/community...-9-3-to-9-10-no-such-file-or-directory.47443/ so I've checked this topic and tried Chris's strategy https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/9-3-to-11-2.74303/post-515760 but 9.10 isn't available in his link anymore...
Should I rather do a fresh install of 11.2 and then import my pool or do these manual updates and download 9.10 from somewhere else?

koudy

Cadet
Ah, I finally found archived 9.10 *.tar file, but then tried to change "channel?" in the list shown on picture below to 9.10-Stable and I'm alread
downloading an update...not sure why I cannot find any advice on this :(

2019-08-07.png

koudy

Cadet
OK I've successfully updated to 9.10, do I need to upgrade pools in each new version? Or do it when I get on 11.2 finally?
Thanks!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
OK I've successfully updated to 9.10, do I need to upgrade pools in each new version? Or do it when I get on 11.2 finally?
Thanks!
I think it is best to hit every update along the way, but it should work to just do one upgrade at the end.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

ShimadaRiku

Contributor
I fixed the link in my old post. Thanks for pointing that out.

Using esxi 6.5 virtualizing freenas via passthrough

Tried upgrading from 9.3 -> 9.10 -> 11.1-u7 -> 11.2-u5

Made it all the way to 11.1-u7 but 11.2-u5 would not boot after upgrade from iso. Last line during boot process gets stuck on

"middlewared: setting up plugins (alert) [4/17]"

However, when I tried a fresh 11.2-u5 install it boots fine.

Is it bad to fresh install 11.2-U5 & restore settings from 9.3 config backup file?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Is it bad to fresh install 11.2-U5 & restore settings from 9.3 config backup file?
There are so many differences in the software that I would not expect it to work properly, but it might. I would roll back to your 11.1 install and backup the config there. Then do the fresh install and load that config backup.

ShimadaRiku

Contributor
There are so many differences in the software that I would not expect it to work properly, but it might. I would roll back to your 11.1 install and backup the config there. Then do the fresh install and load that config backup.

Tried multiple times to get 11.2-u5 installed changing different things, couldn't get it booted but eventually got it working. All I had to do was let it sit there stuck at "middlewared: setting up plugins (alert) [4/17]", about to give up, came back an hr later and it booted. Guess it was still doing something or needed a while to time out. Maybe it was trying to adjust some iocage/plug-in changes from my config.

Last edited: