SOLVED 9.3 File Attribute Permissions Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlpellet

Patron
Since 12/10 update, my servers are not handling file attribute permissions from a Win7 client properly. Current release is FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412142326. When attempting to change file attributes (archive bit) from the W7 client, I get either no change with no error msg or admin permission required. This worked fine on earlier versions of 9.3. I have the volume owned by guest with full permission and CIFS share allowing guest loging. I can see & rename/copy/create OK but not change attribute. Any ideas welcome.

jlpellet

Patron
Also note that while volume permission changes from the GUI indicate successful change, the log shows "chmod: /mnt/z2: Operation not permitted."

J

jkh

Also note that while volume permission changes from the GUI indicate successful change, the log shows "chmod: /mnt/z2: Operation not permitted."
You cannot chmod files on Windows datasets by design since this will delete other ACL bits and cause even more problems. To manipulate file attributes locally on a windows dataset, use setfacl / getfacl.

No idea why Windows 7 clients would suddenly lose the ability to frob permissions between updates - nothing changed in the code base between updates with respect to windows sharing behavior.

jlpellet

Patron
Thanks for the info. Note the chmod error is what is reported in the log when changing the volume permissions from the FreeNAS web GUI (e.g., changing the volume mount point permission from Windows to Unix type), which the GUI reports as successful but generates the log entry as well.

J

jkh

Well, if you change the volume type from Windows to Unix, you will no longer be able to set permissions on the Windows side, so I'm really not sure what you're doing here?

jlpellet

Patron
Here's what I am doing and what started ~12/10. For years, I've used a FreeNAS server as the primary filer server for ~6 spreadsheets here at home that are updated from various computers, as convenient. Daily, I use a scheduled DOS .bat file to xcopy the directory for all files with the archive bit set & reset the bit to various other file servers. On 12/10, the .bat file stopped copying the files even though they had later file dates. I started looking at what was happening & found Win7 shell & GUI showed the archive bit not set. And, when I tried to set it from either, it did not change. I then tried the same on another 2 FreeNAS servers, also running post-12/10 versions. I got a mix of either no change with no error or no change with admin permission required. Windows show file ower as FN/guest with everyone having full access. In trying to figure out what's happens, I've tried changing volume permissions from the FN GUI to various things. None made a difference. I posted here before filing a bug to see if anyone could replicate the issue. Hope this helps folks understand what I am seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.