8 x 3TB HDD - Optimum setup for redundancy/storage space?

Gimpymoo

Dabbler
Hello.

I presently have 4 x 3TB in the following striped mirror config.

1562144757919.png

I plan to add 4 more of identical drives, equalling 8 x 3TB.

What pool layout would peeps recommend for that config? Am I wrong in thinking I can add drives to each mirror?

I have backups so am happy to wipe the pool and start again if needed.

Many thanks.

anmnz

Patron
Hello.

I presently have 4 x 3TB in the following striped mirror config.

View attachment 31669

I plan to add 4 more of identical drives, equalling 8 x 3TB.

What pool layout would peeps recommend for that config? Am I wrong in thinking I can add drives to each mirror?

I have backups so am happy to wipe the pool and start again if needed.

Many thanks.

The most obvious choices are:
  1. Add two more mirrored pairs, just like your existing two.
  2. Wipe everything and start again by putting your 8 disks in a single RAID-Z2 vdev.
Very roughly: (1) gives you more performance and easier future incremental expansion: (2) gives you more space; either provides enough protection for data for most people's needs (assuming the system is otherwise we'll provisioned and backed up and set up properly with scrubs and SMART tests and so on).

What are you using FreeNAS for? How does the performance of the system today stack up against your needs? What are the rest of your hardware specs (see forum rules!)

Gimpymoo

Dabbler
Thank you for the reply.

It is just for a home file server. User documents, family media (Home videos, pictures), plex storage, nothing exotic.

I have added build in sig.

Performance is more than adequate for my needs, just need more storage. My build is based around consumer parts and I know that is not "ideal" but for what I needed, and as an introduction to a NAS system, it has been superb and a fun project. It is not "mission critical" BUT I am more happier with this than I would be with a Synology or Qnap.

Personally, the inconvenience of losing data is more of a problem for me so I happily trade off space for redundancy.

Last edited:

Gimpymoo

Dabbler
Would I be able to add one 3TB drive to each of the mirrors and would it resilver?

Thanks.

Last edited:

anmnz

Patron
Would I be able to add one 3TB drive to each of the mirrors and would it resilver?

That would convert your existing 2-way mirrors into 3-way mirrors of the same capacity.

Gimpymoo

Dabbler
That would convert your existing 2-way mirrors into 3-way mirrors of the same capacity.

Thanks.

So I need to add 4 x 3TB at the same time to increase capacity?

blueether

Patron
um, just another pair of 3TB disks as another mirror added to the pool