700GB missing on back up with rsync

Status
Not open for further replies.

panos

Cadet
Hello everyone,

after one year using freenas its time to ask my first question.

I have a small network, one server with 3 HDDs (1 system, 1 data, 1 backup RAID1) every week i sync these data to an other PC through network (this PC also has 3 HDDs with the same roles). I use rsync.

Recently i noticed that in the second PC there are 700GB of data missing from the pool.

I checked for bad sectors, i set up the second PC from the begining and hit rsync again. No result.

Do you have any suggestions about the cause of the problem?

PS. i used TrueCrypt to encrypt some space in the data HDD of the first PC. Is that the cause maybe?

Thank you in advance.

Excuse me for my english

solarisguy

Guru
700GB is taken by snapshots?

If you know how to list file names using find, do that on both machines. Sort the results and compare.

If you do not know how to use find in Unix, mount both shared volumes (read-only, if you can) on one machine and compare the filesystems. Anything that is capable of comparing recursively directories with their contents will do. For example, diff -r on Unix or Linux or Cygwin under Windows.

RichR

Explorer
Assuming you're talking about two FreeAS machines, or maybe not, I'd check the compression levels on both machines....

panos

Cadet
Yes both are FreeNas, could you tell me how i could do thiw chech?

Thank you

PS when i set up the backup PC i used the configuration file of the server, if this info helps.

solarisguy

Guru
Yes both are FreeNas, could you tell me how i could do thiw chech?

Thank you

PS when i set up the backup PC i used the configuration file of the server, if this info helps.
OK, so you had used the same configuration. However, just in case, can you please check in the GUI whether all the volumes have the same compression type enabled ?

enemy85

Guru
As solarisguy already said, i would check if that 700GB are used by snapshots...

Apollo

Wizard
If data is missing this exclude space taken from snapshot, unless I didn't understand the comment.
700GB is a lot of data and I doubt compression would account for it.
I suspect Rsync removed some data from the backup system to mirror the source drive, ie if a file is missing from the source then it must be deleted from the backup.
Either way, it would be good to get the exact meaning of "missing" in this context.
One possible scenario is probably related to snapshot lifespan, but I doubt rsync can send snapshots over to a backup drive. This is what replication is for. It is is the case, then maybe the snapshots are being destroyed because they expired.
As a remark, what will happen to snapshots if the time on the Freenas system is outdated, ie bad CMOS backup battery causing BIOS to reset to maybe 1970. Then what will happen to snapshots?

Status
Not open for further replies.