50GB ZVol, mirror to a 75GB ZVol and expand a VM?

diskdiddler

Wizard
I have a Ubuntu VM that's only 50GB. I've become dependant on it and it's worked great.
I need about 25GB more space (should be more than enough)

I can create a new ZVol - I need to know how to replicate existing ZVol of 50GB to a 75GB one I've already made (it's empty)
Then I wouldn't mind knowing how to expand Ubuntu filesystem - but that's another story, best it's on a bigger 'disk' first.

Any ideas?

KrisBee

Wizard
On a real machine you might add a drive when you run out of space, a VM is no different. So you could add another zvol to this VM as a second disk device. But can't you just resize the zvol? (see: https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/resizing-vm-zvol-disk.77764/) How to expand a ext4 filesystem depends if you've used LVM or not. But storing a lot of data inside your VM, rather than on the pool, may not be the best idea. I'd prefer to store data on the pool and share that with the VM via NFS/SMB where possible.

Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard
Not a huge amount of data is inside the VM itself, also performance of running a BHyve VM that's mapping out data might not be ideal.
For example over 10GB of the data is plex disposable, unimportant, plex metadata. It's also backed up 3 times a week (excluding snapshots)

It's more about creating some wiggle room for Ubuntu to work with.
I'm also eager to try upgrading Ubuntu from 18.04 to 20.04 'officially' as a dummy user, still haven't been prompted with the update yet.