5.25" expanders for more 3.5" drives

file_haver

Explorer
For me the link resolves to "ICY DOCK Black Vortex MB074SP-B 4 Bays 3.5" SATA Hard Drive Backplane Cooler Cage with 120mm Front LED Fan in 3X 5.25 Bay (Internal CAGE)". Can you please post link to the 2,5+3,5 one?

Sent from my phone
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X5HAKXC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ICY DOCK 2 x 2.5” SATA/SAS HDD/SSD to 5.25” Hot Swap Mobile Rack Cage w/ 3.5” Drive/Device Bay- ExpressCage MB322SP-B
41O1jODLjiL.jpg

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Did you need to put the icy dock FatCage sideways? The FatCage seems wider than taller while the RSV cage seems taller than wider...
They are oriented differently in the photos, but the dimensions are the same. They each fit in the space of three 5.25" drive bays.

Mr. Slumber

Contributor

pro lamer

Guru
Lian Li EX-36A2 (Silver) in Antec Ninteen Hundred . I bought it because it was cheaper.

Unfortunately it's EOL now.
It can be bought new old stock I guess. Advantage: one can mount some 2,5" HDD/SDD to the side...

so no 3.3v headaches
Yeah, let's shuck! :)

MB174U3S-4SB. It sells for around 145 euro's (!) in the Netherlands. It does JBOD.
I guess it uses port multiplier :( And some people complain on USB 3.0 mode compatibility (Windows 10). Anyway FreeNAS doesn't support USB 3.0 IIRC... (?)

One of them supports 15mm 2,5" disks (when the other bay not in use). That's an advantage unless the bay is not able to work stable...

Sent from my phone

Evertb1

Guru
I guess it uses port multiplier :( And some people complain on USB 3.0 mode compatibility (Windows 10). Anyway FreeNAS doesn't support USB 3.0 IIRC... (?)
No I would not use the USB/eSATA version for FreeNAS. I just wanted to make clear that you need to pay attention what version of this cage you order (if any) because they are all build on the same frame and look all the same in the front.

Last edited:

2nd-in-charge

Explorer
I hope I'm in the right thread.
How do "SAS/SATA" cages work with SAS drives if they only have SATA connectors at the back? Do we just connect a SFF-8087 to SATA breakout cable from the SAS controller (e.g. 9705-8i) and plug in a SAS drive into the cage?

Has anyone got iStarUSA BPN-DE230SS working with SAS drives by any chance?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Do we just connect a SFF-8087 to SATA breakout cable from the SAS controller (e.g. 9705-8i) and plug in a SAS drive into the cage?
Yeah, if the cage supports it. The drive-side SATA connector is not compatible, the SAS one is - but it's really just a piece of plastic to dissuade clueless users. Some cages will have two sets of ports, to allow for the second SAS connection to be used, but this is optional.

pro lamer

Guru

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Do you mean the aforementioned cage?
No, I meant that as a general statement. SATA backplane connectors can't take SAS drives, but SAS backplane connectors can take SATA drives.

Stux

MVP