40Gb Mellanox card setup

sad111

Dabbler
You are welcome Justin. Those are what I have for now. What would be great is if someone could build the ibdiags for freenas so i could do more checking. I tried to build them under Freebsd 11.1 but failed. Have not had time to play with building them.

sad111

Dabbler
Not Sure TeleFragger if it is connectx-2 i would think yes but I do not own those so I can't say for sure. Do you have a model number for the card?

Snow

Patron
seems like the Mellanox Cards work pretty good with the Freenas. I know people used to have problems with them.
Looks like ConnectX-2 series is the best bang for your buck 10/40GB. Now I am going to have to Find a 40Gb switch :).

JustinClift

Patron
I have 10gb ConnectX-1 series with the old CX4 plug... and I last tried 11.1-U7 but the old mellanox wasn't supported.

In theory (!), the Connect-X1 cards should be ok. The driver that's in FreeNAS is supposed to work with any of the ConnectX cards, including the 1st series of them.

FreeBSD has a driver for the even older Mellanox cards, prior to the ConnectX series, but that only runs in Infiniband mode as the cards themselves aren't capable of any other network protocol. So, it wasn't brought across to FreeNAS.

Someone with a bunch of free time + sufficient motivation could probably get that driver working in FreeNAS though, if they really wanted. :)

ZiggyGT

Contributor
to get to the screen on the windows machine to set the mode you have to go the Device list in windows. the select the "system resources". scroll down till you find the Mellanox card. Select properties and you will see the screen you need. Since this post is old you have probably figured it out but perhaps this will help somebody else (I hope)

sad111

Dabbler
I have created a script for flashing firmware and configuring ports on cx3 cards. Please let me know if anyone finds bugs.
You will need to adjust for your needs.

JustinClift

Patron
@TeleFragger Looks like it'll need to be ConnectX-2 cards and later for you then.

That being said, even the ConnectX-3 cards have been pretty cheap on Ebay for a few years now... :)

Last edited:

Snow

Patron
@TeleFragger Looks like it'll need to be ConnectX-2 cards and later for you then.

That being said, even the ConnectX-3 cards have been pretty cheap on Ebay for a few years now... :)
Yes they have been And they work for Win, Linux, Unix, Witch is nice.