3TB disk on 1068 LSI controller and later upgrading to Megaraid supporting 3TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstang1988

Contributor
Ok, so I currently have 10 disks on the motherboard controller which supports 3TB+
6 disks are in a z2 raid config.

I want to add 2 more disks, potentially 3TB but only have a 1068 controller supporting only 2.2TB max disks. I know the controller will work but will limit the spiace shown. If I upgrade the controller later (after running with 2.2.TB visible) will it automatically find the remaining space on those disks or will I need to "replace" them with other disks to get the space? If so in my current 2TB disks go for a total of 12 disks, two raidz2 with 6 disks each.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm not sure a sudden increase in drive sizes would go well with ZFS, but it's hardly something widely-tested.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I think you'll have to replace them, but I could be wrong.

To be honest, I have some reservations with using 3TB drives knowing there is a limitation of 2.2TB. Several controllers I have worked with in the past did not handle disks that were the total supported capacity (or larger) and they sometimes would have corruption. Normally I'd expect ZFS to be able to fix this, but if all of the disks got corrupted because of a controller bug at the end of the disk, all of your disks would be fine, then suddenly they would all have corruption and you would possibly not have any redundancy for those blocks of data.

So I'd recommend reconsidering this and buying a proper controller from the get-go.

Status
Not open for further replies.