19" rack case: depth smaller than 600 mm

Exhorder

Explorer
Hi,

I'm looking for a 19" rack case with a depth smaller than 600 mm (the rack's distance between front and back mounting levels is 545 mm). I need 30 TB storage with RAID-Z2, so I'd say I need a minimum of 5 hot swapable 3.5" bays + some 2.5" bays for system & caching SSDs.

So far the only case I've found is the 4U SuperMicro SuperChassis 842TQ-865B (Link) + some 5.25" to 2.5" adapter like SuperMicro M28SACB (Link). The case is about 400 €, the adapter about 150 €. This is 550 € and does not even have redundant PSU :(

Does anybody know the case and/or adapter? I wonder if this ok (build quality, air flow, ...).
Does anybody know better alternatives?

Thanks

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You're not going to find good solutions.

In the '90's, there was lots of short-depth gear and it wouldn't be too hard to come up with this. As things evolved towards data centers, designers targeted density-per-rack-U, because data centers typically sell rack space, and getting what used to be 6U of server to fit in 4U or even 3U was a big goal, and most 4U low density servers suddenly became 2U or 1U. The catch was that they became longer, and they tended to use customized mainboards.

You can still find "short shot" chassis - that 842TQ would probably qualify - but it is unlikely you will find anything that integrates a redundant PDU, for example.

Previous discussion at

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/rackmount-chassis-with-reduced-depth.34725/

One possibility is to recognize that the compute and the storage can be treated as separate issues. You can find a highly integrated 1U server with a PCIe slot -- a few years ago I'd have pointed to the Dell R210-ii as an example -- and then also find an external drive shelf that is also short. As long as it has an SAS expander that could be cool. Norco makes the DS-12E that checks in at around 19" depth. I'm not a fan of Norco and it isn't my among my recommended vendors, but any port in a storm.

There are also cases like the Norco RPC-430 if you can skip the hot-swap.

Exhorder

Explorer
Thanks for pointing me to the prevoius discussion. :)

So far the only rackmount cases I've found is the 4U Supermicro 842TQ-865B that I've mentioned in my first post and the Fantec SRC-2012X07. The Fantec is cheaper (about 220 € + 120 € for a Seasonic PSU), but I have no idea about Fantec quality. Is it OK or is it trash?
On the other hand Supermicro probably does not build trash cases, but the 4U case is actually just a tower case and I don't know if airflow/cooling is good enough there.

A redundant PSU is nice to have but not a must. I think having a spare PSU should be enough.

Exhorder

Explorer
Did some measurements in my rack. I guess I'll try to use some 25 mm spacer/standoff between rack and server case front panel, so the case will move a bit to the front. Then I hopefully can fit a case with 650 mm depth in there.

Thanks!