12 Disk FreeNAS quiet Tower server

TLN

Cadet
I see that it was sold recently, but I got a question about Lian Li backplanes. Do you know if it support SAS drives or Sata only?

joeinaz

Contributor
I see that it was sold recently, but I got a question about Lian Li backplanes. Do you know if it support SAS drives or Sata only?

As far as I can tell, this specific question has been asked before and the answer was the Lian-Li backplanes were not electrically configured to accommodate SAS disks. Currently, I have two systems which can support SAS or SATA disks and I may sell one or both in the near future. Both are tower configurations with front panel accessible removable disks. One system supports 10 removable disks the other supports 12.

craigdt

Explorer
I had a similar setup with the same backplanes, The backplanes were very basic (No capacitors or any other kind of circuitry to regulate voltages) and I would never do a hot swap with them, I would power the server down first before swapping any disks.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Agreed. Though you can remove the relevant solder plugging the thru-holes and add capacitors like I did. :)

Putting in new SMD ceramic caps was surprisingly difficult. I must not have removed all the RoHS solder well enough. But even there I succeeded. I presume the design intent was for the SMD chips to deal with high frequency noise while the Aluminum electrolytic capacitors deal with bulk.

I added the caps not because I intend to hot-swap... it's more to promote longevity by reducing the electrical noise associated with having 3-4 drives per electrical SATA power "outlet" on the 650W power supply.