11.3 web UI "Connecting to FreeNAS ..."

eexodus

Dabbler
On two 11.3-RELEASE FreeNAS systems I frequently have been getting an unresponsive web UI. When it becomes unresponsive I refresh the page and it gets stuck on "Connecting to FreeNAS ... Make sure the FreeNAS system is powered on and connected to the network." It seems to sort itself out within 5-30 minutes. It is not browser related, I am having the issue on all browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge). Rebooting fixes it, but is not ideal.

Restarting nginx through command line does not fix the issue so maybe middleware is hanging?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    8.2 KB · Views: 978
Last edited:
Try "hard clearing" your browser cache.

jlj945

Cadet
I've been having the same problem. I can't login at all on a mobile browser for about 2 or 3 weeks. But randomly I'm unable to login at all on anything. This is OS agnostic, I have Macs, Windows PCs and Linux computers and it's a universal problem.
Really wish the classic UI was available too.

jlj945

Cadet
Actually it appears that I can't log in to my server's web UI at all right now. A reboot of the box didn't even fix it. So thats great.

DasNAS

Cadet
I just ran into the same issue, does anyone know of a fix or work around?

Attachments

• FreeNAS 11.3 UI error.pdf
    180.5 KB · Views: 956

eexodus

Dabbler
I've been turning off nginx when not in use so I haven't ran into this error shortly after my original post. Most users won't be and shouldn't be interacting with nginx directly with service nginx stop and service nginx start so the "bug" (if it even is one) may still present.

kelchm

Dabbler
Ran into this today as well.

I'm super frustrated at how unreliable FreeNAS has been lately, 11.3.x in particular.

awildeone

Cadet
So this has been the only thread I have found that seems to point back to the same issue I have been seeing on a fresh FreeNAS install.

I moved over to FreeNAS 11.3 four days ago and found on day one that something was wrong. The "Connecting to FreeNAS... Make sure the FreeNAS system..." message would appear after a couple of hours of being on. I have my FreeNAS running on an HP Proliant DL360 so I am able to pull up the console via iLO (think RDP for bios). When I checked FreeNAS this morning, I saw the message above. I opened iLO and found that the shell could load and when i ran service nginx restart it seemed to kick me out of the shell. Odd. I opened shell again and ran service django restart and the shell soft crashed. I can press return but nothing reloads. As I press post, it has been over 30 minutes and the console is still soft locked.

I have SMB enabled for File Sharing and two Jail's running (Unifi controller and Plex). All three services are also down when this crash happens.

I have had this happen 4-5 times in the last 4 days of having the system run and am lost at how to continue troubleshooting. I saw one message hinting that the issue could be related to a bad hard drive so I am replacing one this afternoon. At this point, I just have to restart and have my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. Any help would be great.

awildeone

Cadet
Update: I have replaced the hard drive that had SMART errors. I had my FreeNAS server crash at some point last night. File sharing, Plex, Unifi controller, everything is down.

When I pulled up the console, it keeps reloading the default console options. (Gif below)

Console gif.gif

I saw this post listing something similar that was related to LACP Link Aggregation. But I do not have any LACP link aggregations setup anymore.

Sanguipax

Cadet
I've been trying to troubleshoot this as well. I followed the Brian Moses EconoNAS build pretty closely and used an existing case and power supply but with new parts inside:
  • PSU: Corsair CX 500W
  • ASUS Prime B450-A/CSM
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 AF
  • RAM: 16 GB PC4 21300
  • Boot Disk: paired SanDisk UltraFit 32GB
  • HDD (RAIDz2) 6x Seagate IronWolf 4TB NAS
At first I thought it might have been the Plex server I was trying to run, so I cleared that. Still had problems. Also thought it might have been the upgrade I did (I didn't originally start with 11.3-U3.2 but had a slightly earlier release that I upgraded to that) so I did a clean install of the newer OS, still getting that timeout message from time to time. So then I started digging into new kernel modules for the Realtek ethernet interface on the board (I know I know...) but didn't feel like I had the expertise to build a custom kernel. And then I thought it might have been an issue with the Ryzen and compatibility with the OS.

So it is nice to hear that someone is getting this bug with server hardware, an intel chip, and a non-realtek NIC.

I was trying to give FreeNAS a shot after reading Brian's blog a few times over the years and thinking of my own NAS. I don't have any fancy network stuff like link aggregation or VPN or anything like that, I was just trying to set this up for internal home use. But I'm at the point of wondering whether something like Open Media Vault might not meet my desires and be less buggy for me?

I'm hoping to find out how you resolved this issue!

Stoneforger

Cadet
I noticed the same error after forcing redirection from http to https and then I found this:
https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/62502

Which basically means this was already reported but they were not able to replicate with other OS/webbrowser combinations.

It might make sense for us to try and reopen that bug and add the output from the middlewared log, at least those that have ssh access.
If you can disable that redirection and are ok with http, this should be fine for now. It looks like the focus is on TrueNAS development but I see there's problems there as well.

Sanguipax

Cadet
That https redirection was already unchecked for me. I've also been seeing though that the mirrored flash drives was not necessarily the best approach anymore. So i just moved the boot onto an old laptop drive i had in an enclosure but still booting from usb. It's still up after last night, but I'd like to see it stable for a few days before thinking it's good.

Sanguipax

Cadet
So the system has been stable for 38+ hours so far. I think this is just because I changed my boot device. Even though it is an older laptopp hdd, that seems to have made the difference over the mirrored usb flash.

Interesting, I have seen this issue as well, and am using a mirrored boot drive (but not USB based). I wonder if mirroring the boot drive is related somehow?

Sanguipax

Cadet
Perhaps. I went from having an unstable system with 2 mirrored usb flash drives to having a stable system with 1 hdd interfaced through usb. I think I may have also tried to tweak some of the BIOS settings, but not global C-states or anything else that some others have suggested. The only other change that I made was to reduce the number of HDD running off a single Molex/power cable. I was one short for SATA power when building and used a molex-4 SATA cable; having 4 hdd on one cable may have contributed to instability? So now it is 2+2+2 for power instead of 2+4.

I'm almost at 2 days stable again, having only shutdown/restarted to be able to put the side panel and fans back on (DIYPC tower). My next step will be to try setting up some Apple shares for my wife's time machines (or just an extra backup for her) and after that I might try a jail or 2 again for a plex/nextcloud server. #fingerscrossed.

richardm1

Dabbler
The http-to-https redirect button just killed my web interface as well. It eventually comes up if I reboot the NAS and wait a few minutes (the web page used to become available right at the end of the boot process -- now I'm waiting).

ericalmberg

Cadet
Just wanted to see if there's any progress on this issue. I just set up a new FreeNAS build as my old ubuntu server with a raid10 array is at 97% capacity and is showing it's age - build parts here. I'm new to FreeNAS but want to move to it for it's easier to manage web interface, I followed the build guidelines from the Hardware Recommendations Guide.

Dual SDD's for boot mirroring seemed to break my installation as well, tons of errors with the latest 11.3-U3.2 build. Since it's a clean machine I re-installed with 1 SSD and everything worked on boot. This build seems to be broken for building into a boot pool. What's the proper recourse to re-open the bug from above?

keson

Dabbler
On two 11.3-RELEASE FreeNAS systems I frequently have been getting an unresponsive web UI. When it becomes unresponsive I refresh the page and it gets stuck on "Connecting to FreeNAS ... Make sure the FreeNAS system is powered on and connected to the network." It seems to sort itself out within 5-30 minutes. It is not browser related, I am having the issue on all browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge). Rebooting fixes it, but is not ideal.

Restarting nginx through command line does not fix the issue so maybe middleware is hanging?
On latest version of Freenas 11.3 u4.1, one boot ssd hdd and two 4TB hdd inside, 48 gb ram, hp M30. Unable to connect to the GUI aswell. Another freenas server, same os version but hp Microserver, 4x4TB hdd and dual usb boot flash and i can log in. So to me it does not look like boot pool configuration...

mmon

Cadet
I am facing same issue after upgrading 9.10 to 11.3.
I cannot even login to the server. keep saying incorrect.