SOLVED 11.3-U1 - server crashes due to possible network/jail issues

Hazimil

Contributor
The upgrade to 11.3-U1 crashed again on my server, so I've tried a new clean install (reformating boot drive) from USB, and it now boots...

But once I upload my saved configuration and the server goes though the reboot, after a short time the server hangs-up completely requiring a hardware power-off. Using an IPMI connection to see the "server screen", I see that the following appears after a short period of time, and this is when it crashes:

FreeNAS crash.png

and on another try:

FreeNAS crash 2.png

I'm assuming this is perhaps Jail linked and if my Jails are corrupted or somehow their setup is causing the issue, I more then happy to recreate them from scratch - however, no idea how to edit my offline config save to remove Jail entries or even if it's possible.

I don't really want to have to re-setup the server from scratch, and really want to use my saved config file, and unfortunately I don't have a previous version to boot from due to the crash I had initially.

I could download and install an older version, but I know my Jails might fail as they were upgrade with 11.3, thankfully it looks like I haven't upgraded the pool yet..

EDIT: Due to fast work with keyboard and mouse, I was able to login and set all Jails to Down before the server crashed again. This stopped it from crashing! I then edited the Jails and disabled Auto-Start, and then rebooted the server. The server boots and I no longer get the bridge and epair messages on the console. So must have been linked to my Jails somehow.

Not sure how to progress, any idea? Also, logged as a bug.

Jonathan

Last edited:
I had a similar - but not quite the same - issue. The Jails would come up okay and the server wouldn't crash but the Jails had no connectivity. I ended up deleting the VLANS and bridges that I had created in 11.2-U7 as well as the Jails themselves (they were only Emby plugins so it was just a PIA in my case). It seemed in my case that the networking info was not upgraded "right". Even then, I cannot use anything but only DHCP works (e.g., cannot statically assign the network config). I have a Jira submission on that one.

I think that something is "not quite right" with the upgrade scripts - which is a very much uninformed thought :)

Hazimil

Contributor
Thinking I may have to rebuild Jails, but waiting to see if I get a response from IX via the bug report.

Jonathan

Hazimil

Contributor