11.3-RC2 - Now Available

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
The last release candidate for 11.3 has just gone live:

https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/library/freenas-11-3-rc2/

Summary of the highlighted new features coming into 11.3:
  • Re-implemented Replication Engine, allows higher speed transfers, resume support on failed transfers, as well as ability to replicate locally.
  • ACL Manager – Allows setup and management of SMB ACL’s directly via the FreeNAS web interface.
  • SMB Shadow Copies are now enabled by default for new shares – Note: Snapshots will only show up in Windows “Previous Versions Tab” if the snapshot USED size shows changes to the file.
  • A repository of Community plugins has been created, users can now create and distribute 3rd party plugins which are not officially iXsystems supported.
  • Updated translations for Czech, French, Japanese, Russian, and Simplified Chinese. Additionally, the process to add additional translations has been greatly improved.
  • iSCSI Wizard – Streamlines the process of creating new iSCSI targets down to a few clicks.
  • Alert System Overhaul – More granular alerts, as well as controls to set alert thresholds.
  • Dashboard Updates – The initial dashboard now shows a live view of system status, including network traffic, CPU / memory utilization and more.
  • NAT Support for Plugins – Eliminates the need for each plugin to have a dedicated IP address on your network
  • Full featured 2.0 API – Includes both REST and Websocket connections, allowing FreeNAS to be fully scripted and driven via the same API used by the web-interface.
  • Large Pool Creation Assistance – When creating ZFS pools with large number of disks, the UI provides an automated way to repeat a VDEV layout across all remaining disks.
  • ZFS Performance optimizations across the board for many different workloads.

ThreeDee

Guru
Nice! .. I'll give this a go when I get off work this afternoon

hervon

Patron
Update from RC1 went without issue on my home server. Thanks!

ChimeyJimmey

Cadet
Updated from 11.3-RC1 to 11.3-RC2 half an hour ago.
Couple of "hiccups":

1. WebGUI cannot be bound to a specific IP/interface anymore.
The GUI error is:

x.x.x.x ipv4 address is not associated with this machine

Although,
the interface/IP is working.

Restarted nginx/django - issue persists.

The result is - GUI accessible on all physically available interfaces/configured IPs. Except these on jails, of course.

2. Binding specific physical interface to a jail is no longer possible.​
For example,
the machine has 7 (seven) physical interfaces, 4 (four) of them are used for production Ethernet traffic, 2 (two) for iSCSI, 1 (one) is management.
The interfaces in interest are:

- em0
- em1
- em2
- em3

Previously,
services and jails were bound explicitly, each to a different.

After 11.3-RC2 upgrade,
in jail configuration "vnet_default_interface" option presents only:

• none
  • auto
  • vnet0:bridge0 (somehow preliminary created)

"emX" interfaces dissapeared from the list.
Previous configuration/bond to em2 (for example) is gone.

The result is - jail cannot start/autostart, because of DHCP sigterm.
If manually set to "auto", a bridge is created, randomly including "emX" interfaces and it starts...

Any thoughts/insights on this?

Thank you in advance.

ChimeyJimmey

Cadet
Yes, if all DHCP/VNET/BPF options are disabled,
and a static IP is assigned, then it's mandatory to set IPv4 interface.
And the emX are shown/available for selection.

But VNET configuration in Network Properties of the jails is still needed, e.g. vnetX:bridgeX,
and "vnet_default_interface" option STILL presents only:
  • none
  • auto
  • vnet0:bridge0 (somehow preliminary created)
Very peculiar behavior has been introduced with changes in RC2...

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
K wonder what would happen if you manually input vnetX:emX ?

Might have to just make a ticket in the JIRA, or seek clarity on the forums as I don't do anything with going tying jails to specific interfaces like that...

alwynallan

Cadet
Updating 11.3-RC1 to -RC2 immediately dropped my 8xSSD temperatures from 42C to 30C. The 100KB/s write to each disk at idle remains, and I'm getting to accept it as normal. I don't know why they're cooler but I like it!
Cooler disks with RC2.png

waqarahmed

iXsystems
iXsystems
@ChimeyJimmey can you please make a ticket at jira.ixsystems.com and attach a debug ?
For the first case it looks like you did not have static IP configured which is what we require now in order to bind to a specific ip.

Thank you

hescominsoon

Patron
@ChimeyJimmey can you please make a ticket at jira.ixsystems.com and attach a debug ?
For the first case it looks like you did not have static IP configured which is what we require now in order to bind to a specific IP.

Thank you
i am seeing that error as well and i do have a static ipv4 set. This was an upgrade from rc1. i'll look for the ticket and add to it.

kooper2015

Dabbler
Nice. Coming from 11.3RC1 (new box, bare metal)
I'm also seeing 3C lower temperatures of HDDs, but also lower speeds (looking into that).
Static IP can be set correctly now in GUI (plain setup, just 1 port used).
Unlocking an encrypted pool now activates only enabled services.

Not so nice, also seen in RC1:
In the shell, mc stops working on several windows, eg. Options/Layout. Display is garbled then.
Would like to see selected devices and metrics remembered in Reporting.
GUI is wasting lots of space.
Some hints (circled ?) are really short.
ESC on keyboard should always mean: button 'Cancel' was clicked.
Return/Enter on the keyboard should mean: button 'OK' was clicked (eg. unlocking an encrypted pool after entering pass-phrase). Perhaps for now only if 'OK' is the only button, until buttons are visibly marked as selected.

Oh, and it would be nice to see what has changed from RC1!

But these aren't showstoppers, as RC2 is the last RC. But in general I like the GUI, most (if not all) functions of the old GUI should be available.

Just my 2ct.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
I reeaaaaally hope the RELEASE gets out very soon because i don't know how much longer i will be able to resist. I have new disks burned in. My old disks with all of my data stored in cabinet (my wife got clear message that she can not even open it because a nuclear catastrophe might happen ... uhm the wtf-face i got :D). My box got cleaned up, my new OS SSD is ready. So here i am, with 11.3 RC2 installed, with 6x12TB empy disks connected and i am tempted just to do the leap of faith and plug in my data disks because i f***ing love the new UI and functions (comming from FreeNAS 9.10.).
There is still something telling me "Don't be stupid and wait for proper release" ... but it is fading out ... rapidly...

Soooo ... who do i need to ... uhm ....... when i s the RELEASE date you say? ^^

1579195225442.png

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I reeaaaaally hope the RELEASE gets out very soon because i don't know how much longer i will be able to resist. I have new disks burned in. My old disks with all of my data stored in cabinet (my wife got clear message that she can not even open it because a nuclear catastrophe might happen ... uhm the wtf-face i got :D). My box got cleaned up, my new OS SSD is ready. So here i am, with 11.3 RC2 installed, with 6x12TB empy disks connected and i am tempted just to do the leap of faith and plug in my data disks because i f***ing love the new UI and functions (comming from FreeNAS 9.10.).
There is still something telling me "Don't be stupid and wait for proper release" ... but it is fading out ... rapidly...

Soooo ... who do i need to ... uhm ....... when i s the RELEASE date you say? ^^

View attachment 35107

The team is hard at work, slaving away as we speak. We're aiming for next week, BUUUTTTTTT may slip to the 28th depending on some issues being debugged now...

images.jpg

HolyK

Ninja Turtle

majerus

Contributor
Not sure if this is expected behavior, but when trying to refresh the community plugins it never really finished. DNS is working, i dont see anything in /var/log/messages so I dont know whats up.

I think I should see more plugins, after looking at https://github.com/ix-plugin-hub/iocage-plugin-index

1579293412964.png

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Not sure if this is expected behavior, but when trying to refresh the community plugins it never really finished. DNS is working, i don't see anything in /var/log/messages so I don't know whats up.

I think I should see more plugins, after looking at https://github.com/ix-plugin-hub/iocage-plugin-index

View attachment 35120

This is expected. The community plugins are tied to the 11.3-RELEASE branch right now, not the master branch you are looking at. We're in process of getting ready to merge back a slew of new ones though to coincide with the 11.3 release.

majerus

Contributor
Sounds good thanks!

-fun-

Contributor

Junicast

Patron
After going from 11.2 to 11.3RC1 and now 11.3RC2 my jails are somewhat irritated. Within the jail:
Code:
pkg update
is giving me this:
Code:
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
[emby] Fetching meta.txz: 100%    944 B   0.9kB/s    00:01   
[emby] Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%    6 MiB   3.3MB/s    00:02   
Processing entries:   0%
Newer FreeBSD version for package cyrus-sasl:
To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes
- package: 1103000
- running kernel: 1102000
Ignore the mismatch and continue? [Y/n]:

Code:
root@emby:~ # freebsd-version 
11.2-RELEASE-p15
root@emby:~ # uname -a
FreeBSD emby 11.3-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-p5 #0 r325575+1cc4ff57f23(HEAD): Mon Jan 13 16:52:17 UTC 2020     root@tnbuild01.tn.ixsystems.com:/freenas-releng-rc/freenas/_BE/objs/freenas-releng-rc/freenas/_BE/os/sys/FreeNAS.amd64  amd64

On the host:
Code:
root@filer[~]# iocage get release emby
11.2-RELEASE-p15