11.3 - IPv6 Routing Problems

Katagia

Dabbler
Hello

I'm using a small NAS with FreeNAS 11.3 at home.
The ethernet card is set to "dhcp".
My router supports ipv4 and ipv6. IPv6 is working for all other clients in the network without problems.

The problem is freenas seems to have problems with ipv6. Everything is configured to "dhcp" (default) Autoconfigure ipv6 is set. Everyhting is set to default. It get's a valid ipv6 from the provided pool. "Autoconfigure IPv6" is enabled.
Unfortunatly it's just luck to get a valid ipv6 gateway. Very often after reboot no gateway is set. On the other side DNS for ipv6 is set.

When I enter the network -> interface dialog and apply the interface without any changes the public ipv6 address is dropped. In network summary only the local link address is shown. In order to get the public ipv4 the system must be restarted.

Sometimes several minutes after startup the gateway is set.

I have linux experiance but none for freebsd.
Has anyobdy an idea how I can debug this issue?

BTW: Is it possible that ipv6 is problematic with FreeNAS in general? With 11.2 I was not able to get ipv6 working in jails when using dhcp. Although after I upgraded the host to 11.3 it didn't work.

Katagia

Dabbler
I was able to get ipv6 working.
I had to set the following tunables:
ipv6_activate_all_interfaces YES
rtsold_enable YES

As with 11.2 I was not able to get ipv6 working inside of a jail. I want to setup an openvpn ipv4/ipv6 tunnel. For this I has to set the following additional tunables:
gateway_enable YES
openvpn_configfile path/file
openvpn_dir updatesafe/path
openvpn_enable YES

I would prefer a jail but as mentioned before ipv6 is not working inside of it.

xviruz

Dabbler
Thanks for the solution. I ran into this issue as well and the two tunables solved it. I've filed a bug: https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-106239

My jails and VMs have IPv6 working in spite of the broken default gateway on FreeNAS itself (working for all 11.3 versions, I don't recall if they were working in 11.2). You could try recreating or editing the jails (with "Autoconfigure IPv6" checked). Their /etc/rc.conf should automatically have those two tunables.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I have jails with IPv6 SLAAC since 11.1 or so, definitely all the way through 11.2 up to my current 11.3-U3.1.

rc.conf in jail:
ifconfig_epair0b_ipv6="inet6 auto_linklocal accept_rtadv autoconf"

iocage:
Code:
defaultrouter6:auto
interfaces:vnet0:bridge0
ip6:new
ip6_addr:vnet0|accept_rtadv
ip6_saddrsel:1
rtsold:0
vnet:1
vnet0_mac:02ff60d4395d 02ff60d4395e
vnet_default_interface:auto
vnet_interfaces:none

No rtsold, because my prefix does not change and my router is broadcasting it periodically.

HTH,
Patrick