11.2 Worth upgrading to?

scobin

Cadet
Hello,

I have a Freenas 11.1 U7 install that runs just fine but i am considering upgrading to 11.2

Although I have heard that many people have had issues while or after upgrading.

Is it stable enough now in U4?

I would say it depends on what you are doing with it. If you are providing basic filestore for many users within an organisation I would say not to upgrade and wait another 3-6 months at least. However, if you are running it in a home environment or an environment where if it had issues it wouldn't be the end of the world then go for it if you wish. Always a good idea either way to make sure you have a good and up-to-date backup beforehand.

scobin

Cadet
I would say it depends on what you are doing with it. If you are providing basic filestore for many users within an organisation I would say not to upgrade and wait another 3-6 months at least. However, if you are running it in a home environment or an environment where if it had issues it wouldn't be the end of the world then go for it if you wish. Always a good idea either way to make sure you have a good and up-to-date backup beforehand.

Yeah good points. I only use it for home environment. I have the PlexPlugin set up and i am a little bit worried that i might have issues with it

pschatz100

Guru
Personally, I found 11.2u3 to be just fine. I have not updated to 11.2u4.1 and probably won't as my system is doing OK. For me, the new GUI is working better under 11.2.

If you decide to make the FreeNAS update, do not upgrade the ZFS file system. That way, if there is any problem you can always go back to the previous version. Just be patient when you do the update and let it run to completion. On some systems, the update tends to take a long time.

danb35

Hall of Famer
do not upgrade the ZFS file system.
Not a problem from 11.1-11.2; the additional feature flags don't harm compatibility with 11.1. I've found 11.2 to be solid for me, though I'm still on -U1 (I really want Duplicati to finish backing up my video dataset before I upgrade and reboot), and the 11.2 release adds some significant ZFS improvements (scrubs and resilvers should be much faster, for example).

Heracles

Wizard
The advice I would give you here is not only have good backups of your data, but also snapshot everything. After their data disappeared, many users were able to restore them from snapshots. Those without snapshots either lost their data or had to recover from backups, which is more painful than a simple snapshot clone / promotion.

Here, I run on 11.2U1, fresh install on both server, fresh pool created on both of them.

ethereal

Guru
11.2-U4.1 and it has a ups bug that doesn't shut down as configured