11.2 update Nextcloud plugin overwrites nginx configs

Ben13

Cadet
Hi all,
after a few years I decided to give nextcloud another try, looks good so far.
I enforced HTTPS in the nextcloud iocage. For that I edited /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf and /usr/local/etc/nginx/conf.d/nextcloud.conf.
After some weeks I triggered an updated of the nextcloud plugin through the web interface. After the update the both mentioned config files where overwritten and my changes where discarded. This resulted in HTTPS not working anymore.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? Someone noticed the same? What is the update function even doing? Is this considered a bug or feature?

To me it is not en option to either do no updates or run nextcloud without HTTPS. The only option I currently see is writing a script that applies my changes on boot, but this not a way to do this. Also I don't know which of my changes are overwritten, too.

Thanks to all who care! :)

garm

Wizard
That’s probably a feature, the plugin is far from perfect. You could try to file a bug report, but you will probably be happier installing your own. @danb35 ’s script is really handy for a close to hands off setup that is then fully customizable

Ben13

Cadet
Thank you for the hint to the scripted installation. I have seen a few but not this one.

How do you keep your scripted installation up to date? Do you regularly ssh into your iocage and update the packages by hand?
My aim with using the plugin was to keep maintenance as easy as possible.

garm

Wizard
You need to keep the jail up to date. Depending on how it’s set up it’s basically down to, creating snapshots, backing up database and files, updating dependencies with pkg update and pkg upgrade, and running the update from the Nextcloud admin account.

danb35

Hall of Famer
How do you keep your scripted installation up to date?
Although my script doesn't do this, a cron job to run pkg upgrade -y would be simple enough--that would handle everything except for Caddy and Nextcloud itself. Nextcloud can be updated using its built-in updater.
updating dependencies with pkg update and pkg upgrade,
pkg isn't apt. There's no reason to run both of these commands.