11.2-U4 to 11.2-U5 SMART Temperature Issue

Xipher

Cadet
After upgrading to 11.2-U5, I've lost the ability to read back drive temperature, all show as N/A, the SMARTD service is running though.

Sort of at a bit of a loss on what might have happened or how to resolve it?

SMART tests still run as far as I can tell, just no temperature graphs, no temperature display, nothing, very weird.

Xipher

Cadet
A small update on this, one drive suddenly decided to start reporting its temperature again.

I still have no idea whats going on here? Anyone have any ideas on where to look or what information to provide?

norbs

Explorer
Exact same issue.

I have historical temperature data up until the day that the 11.2-U5 boot image was added. Only one of 10 drives is showing temps.

Can still still check all temps with smartctl.

Redcoat

MVP

norbs

Explorer
Last comment I saw on the Dashboard info was from Dru Lavigne - to the effect that this was highly-hardware-dependent information and the next OS version would have some enhancements to improve what we are seeing.

Go here https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/freenas-web-gui-issues-missing-info.77551/#post-539214
Thank you, glad to know they are aware.
Though when looking through the bug report system, I didn't see anything related to temperature so I posted one.

pschatz100

Guru
I had a similar problem when I initially migrated to 11.2. I logged into the legacy interface and the disk temps were there. Then I logged out of the legacy interface and logged back in via the new interface. Guess what? The temps were now showing in the new interface. Since then, they have worked in the new interface. I have no idea why this fixed the problem.

Give it a try...

norbs

Explorer
I had a similar problem when I initially migrated to 11.2. I logged into the legacy interface and the disk temps were there. Then I logged out of the legacy interface and logged back in via the new interface. Guess what? The temps were now showing in the new interface. Since then, they have worked in the new interface. I have no idea why this fixed the problem.

Give it a try...
Naw didn't work, if it didn't show any data on the charts I would have had more hope but since it showed data before the update then it means it's just failing to collect or save new data.

pschatz100

Guru
Well, it was worth a try. When I first started using the new interface, the new interface always showed all the data - except temps. The legacy interface has always shown all the data including temps. I have always thought this was an issue related to the way the system is sending data to the charts on the new dashboard.

norbs

Explorer
Looks like there is a new requirement for the drives to be set to "Always on" for drive temps to be read. Apparently polling temps was causing drives to fall out of sleep.

Asking some follow up questions with a dev working on the bug with me.
Will keep you guys posted.

pschatz100

Guru
I could believe that. My disks are always on.

LucidSeed

Cadet
I had missing temperatures showing on each HDD today, I switched to legacy interface and then back and the temperatures disappeared, even after a reboot.

I clicked on Storage > Disks > Edit > turned off 'Enable S.M.A.R.T' and the temperatures returned on the new interface - I then turned 'Enable S.M.A.R.T' back on and temperatures are still showing.

Hope that helps someone too,