SOLVED 11.2-U2.1 broke SSH?

dnilgreb

Contributor
I just upgraded my primary FreeNAS from 11.2-U1 to 11.2-U2.1. Everything started fine, all jails running and everything. But SSH won´t work. Since i am using keys for authentication and have password auth off for SSH, I get this error:
Code:
Disconnected: No supported authentication methods available
(server sent: publickey)

It worked fine before the upgrade, and I have not changed anything with the keys or anything.
It just stopped working.
My .ssh folder is "chmodded to" 700 (rwx) and is owned by me, placed in my home folder.
My authorized_keys is inside that folder, "chmodded to" 600 (rw).

Also tried enabling password auth, and that works. But I want to use keys.
I am connecting from Windows using putty. I also tried connecting from my other FreeNAS box, same result.
Tried both on my LAN and from the outside.

Has anyone else seen this? Why does it happen, how do I solve it?

dnilgreb

Contributor
Ok, I found this in /var/log/auth.log

Code:
Feb 28 20:35:36 NAS01 sshd[34941]: userauth_pubkey: key type ssh-dss not in PubkeyAcceptedKeyTypes [preauth]
Feb 28 20:35:36 NAS01 sshd[34941]: userauth_pubkey: key type ssh-dss not in PubkeyAcceptedKeyTypes [preauth]
Feb 28 20:35:36 NAS01 sshd[34941]: error: userauth_pubkey: could not parse key: Invalid key length [preauth]

I´m guessing that´s a hint. But why is this occurring now, and not in 11.2-U1?

dnilgreb

Contributor
Solved it. Here it is:
My SSH key was a 1024 bit RSA key. 1023 bit even, according to pageant. I created a new 2048 bit keypair with puttygen and installed that instead. Now SSH is ok again.
So, before I applied the update on my secondary, and remote FreeNAS box, I installed the new key there as well. SSH ok after update there too.

TooMuchData

Contributor
No sure if same problem here, but similar.

Lost my legacy jails after 11.2-U2.1 installed, so rolled back to U1. Still gone, so loaded configuration that had been saved before update. Jails back, but replication to that FN server was failing. Traced it to ssh public key(s) for root had been deleted and not restored.

Last edited: