SOLVED 11.2 U1 linux VM not starting until touched by webvnc

Inquirer

Dabbler
After setting up a Linux VM and installing the OS I realized that despite the fact that in the new ui the vm status is "running" it doesn't boot until I initiate a webvnc connection. The issue is present after manually starting the vm from gui and after every freenas reboot. In effect all vm's are down after a system reboot. I can replicate the issue with debian 9.7 and Ubuntu server 10.04.2 LTS. It also appears that every vm shutdown is not done cleanly.
The Vm's were installed with virtio drivers, 2 virtuals cpu's, 1536 and 2048 MB of Ram on a Dell t20 freenas machine with a xeon E3-1225 v3 and 16Gb of RAM.

A different issue is that after pressing delete on a running vm the gui reports the vm deleted, it dissapear from the vm list, but it's happily running in the background. I stumbled on this after beeing denied to delete a "deleted" vm disk image.

Inquirer

Dabbler
Meh, I figured it out. One has to edit the VNC device and clear the checkbox "Wait to boot" for the VM to start normally. The description "Set for the VNC client to wait until the VM has booted before attempting the connection." is completely misleading. It should say something like "Set for the VM not to boot until the WebVNC client attempts to connect" witch is a completely useless option IMO.
edit_vnc_dev.png

Inquirer

Dabbler
Someone else created Bug#75595 for the deleting vm issue.
LE:
30 seconds later the bug is assigned....damn that was fast.

Last edited: