1000baseT not possible with RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E PCIe Gigabit Ethernet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narann

Dabbler
Hi FreeNAS community

I just realize my Integrated LAN chipset was not supported by FreeNAS 8.0.4-RELEASE-p2... :(

I have a P7P55-M:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7P55M/

LAN Chipset: Realtek 8112L Gigabit LAN controller featuring AI NET 2

This is not a so new mother board... :(

I've first realize my transfer speed was very slow. After some research I found this:

http://protosd.blogspot.fr/2011/12/protosds-unofficial-freenas-8-faq.html#q18
http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/FAQs#My_network_transfer_speeds_are_very_slow.2C_what_is_wrong.3F

I've tried what was write there and my FreeNAS WebUI become unreachable. I've connected a keyboard and a screen and remove this.

I've also tried directly from boot shell but it also doesn't work...

Code:
ifconfig -a | grep media
media: Ethernet 1000baseT <full-duplex> (none)

So I think my LAN chipset have no good drivers for FreeNAS. :(

But:

Code:
#ifconfig -m
supported media:
 media autoselect mediaopt flowcontrol
 media autoselect
 media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex,flowcontrol,master
 media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex,flowcontrol
 media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex,master
 media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex
 media 1000baseT mediaopt master
 media 1000baseT
 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex,flowcontrol
 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
 media 100baseTX
 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex,flowcontrol
 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex
 media 10baseT/UTP
 media none

I've tested with dmesg and:
Code:
re0: <RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E PCIe Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xd800-0xd8ff
mem blabla
re0: Using 1 MSI-X message
re0: Chip rev. 0x28000000
re0: MAC rev. 0x00000000
miibus0: <MII bus> on re0
rgephy0: <RTL8169S/8110S/8211B media interface> PHY 1 on miibus0
rgephy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 10baseT-FDX-flow, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 100baseTX-FDX-flow, 1000baseT, 1000baseT-master, 1000baseT-FDX, 1000baseT-FDX-master, 1000baseT-FDX-flow, 1000baseT-FDX-flow-master, auto, auto-flow
re0: Ethernet adress: blabla
re0: [ITHREAD]

Where can I be really sure my chipset is not supported? What do you think of this?

I think I will need to buy a LAN card and plug it to my FreeNAS. Where car I find one that I am sure it is supported by FreeNAS? Is there a list of recommended LAN card/mother board for FreeNAS?

Thanks in advance all! :)

louisk

Patron

andoy31

Explorer
Rtl8112l is a gigabit ethernet... Dmesg is showing that it is capable... Have you checked the lan cables? Should be at least cat5e. If it is already cat5e, can you try to test the cable to other pc- maybe a defective crimp or cable.

Narann

Dabbler
@louisk
Thanks for references. I will buy one if there is no other solution. :)

@andoy31
My lan cable is a cat5e: ETL VERIFIER TO EIA/TIA 568B CAT 5e
I'm using a "Freebox" which is a router provide by my ISP: "Free": Reference: FBX-ADSL05-02
Could the problem came from my ISP router?

Any idea?

I will try to connect freenas to my PC and to some bench to see if the ISP router.

EDIT: After some research there (sorry, in french): https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebox

I see my Freebox is a v5 which doesn't support 1Gb/s... I think the problem is here... I need to ask for a "optical Freebox" which is the only one to support 1Gb/s but I'm not sure they will accept as I'm not in a place which support optical internet connection...

In the case I can't have a such one. What router (good value for money) do you recommend to me? I never had to ask myself about this before... :(

Thanks in advance and have a good day all! ;)

andoy31

Explorer
Hmmm.. Been searching around and it seems that specific network adapter has been having a couple of issues with freebsd. Sorry, it seems that the fastest way to go around the problem is to get a separate intel based NIC.

Narann

Dabbler
That's a weird... I've send a big messages to explain that the problem came from my "Freebox" (a router provide by my ISP which is only 100Mb/s) but it hasn't been validated by moderators... :(

So sorry guys if you think I didn't answer you, I did with a big explicative message with all references (serial number etc...). So I do short:

My cable was cat5e so I've just checked for my router and see this could be the problem. So I've bought a Netgear GS105 and hope this will work.

I will told you guys! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.