10 Gig Networking Primer

10 Gig Networking Primer

TXAG26

Patron
This brings up a good question, so if I understand the above post correctly, I can clear out any non-standard values by enabling, rebooting, disabling, and then rebooting Freenas? Does this also clear out any random non-standard settings that were made on a prior version that may have been carried over by a configuration backup/restore?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Just disabling and rebooting, if we're talking "autotune" stuff.

So just to add here, i looked for a long time to find a dedicated 10Gb switch that wasnt outrageously priced....I work with ALOT of cisco stuff (Cisco 5000 and 7000 series) but new and *if* you can find it used is still $1,000 to $5,000 and well, for a homelab that isnt really acceptable (for most) So instead i went and scoured ebay :) . Heres my findings, my setup WAS a bunch of daisy chained...but realized that at the rate im moving thats unacceptable, so i found a switch, now she isnt new...and she isnt the prettiest of the bunch, but she was affordable and did 10Gb :D

Here's the 10Gb switch i purchased : ~$400 shipped , i figured i can live with that.
The 10Gb XFP's i was able to get from that seller for $20 each (might have been able to go lower...but wasnt too worried)
I already had 4 of the Chelsio T420-CR cards, but i wanted to include them anyways: ~ managed to get them for $165 each from that seller
And then i got the SFP+ 's from this seller for $25 each.
10Gb fiber cables: I picked up x8 2M Multimode aqua color

Now all in all, the switch is old yes (2006-2007) But it gets the job done, and gives me a 10Gb backbone for all my stuff, my 2 ESXi servers + my FreeNAS server and my SAN for ESXi storage.

Now i know this kind of setup isnt for everyone...but it might help someone some day lol. Now i will tell you i contact Fujitsu and verified the XFP's i was purchasing were compatible as no where in the hardware manual or there website did it list compatible XFP's....

So yea, thats my story. Dont troll me too much for wanting 10Gb that bad :p

I want to thank you for sharing this info if I havent done that already somewhere in the forum.

I got my dell 5548 (gigabit switch with 2x10Gb up links) and thinking to expand to another 10Gb only switch connected to my 5548 via 10Gb uplinks. I was thinking to get Dell 8024F like jpgreco recommend but the price is only reason stopping me.(around $2K used on a good day).
Your 10Gb switch is very very tempting solution , even without Web Gui , still worth to learn it's cli. Can you tell more about your experience with this switch , if you still have it of course. Anything that you can tell will be appreciated ?

I want to thank you for sharing this info if I havent done that already somewhere in the forum.

I got my dell 5548 (gigabit switch with 2x10Gb up links) and thinking to expand to another 10Gb only switch connected to my 5548 via 10Gb uplinks. I was thinking to get Dell 8024F like jpgreco recommend but the price is only reason stopping me.(around $2K used on a good day).
Your 10Gb switch is very very tempting solution , even without Web Gui , still worth to learn it's cli. Can you tell more about your experience with this switch , if you still have it of course. Anything that you can tell will be appreciated ?
I deff have the switch, i love it, once you learn the basic CLI all you gotta do is save the default config, enable SSH/Telnet. By default only the serial port is enabled and it requires a NULL modem cable...that was a pain in the balls and i went through 5 boxes of cables to find out at my datacenter since its so rarely used. I am going to need another few 10Gb XFP's since i added 2 more Chelsio cards to my 10Gb network lol.

I deff have the switch, i love it, once you learn the basic CLI all you gotta do is save the default config, enable SSH/Telnet. By default only the serial port is enabled and it requires a NULL modem cable...that was a pain in the balls and i went through 5 boxes of cables to find out at my datacenter since its so rarely used. I am going to need another few 10Gb XFP's since i added 2 more Chelsio cards to my 10Gb network lol.

Is it very loud, is it reliable ? Also , I assume will be very hard to find rails for mounting , or Am I wrong ?

Is it very loud, is it reliable ? Also , I assume will be very hard to find rails for mounting , or Am I wrong ?
Loud....its not louder then my servers lol, its a 1U switch, has tiny little fans....its semi loud...but i mean it sits in the basement in the rack, i never found a rack kit so i just sat it on a rack shelf.

Loud....its not louder then my servers lol, its a 1U switch, has tiny little fans....its semi loud...but i mean it sits in the basement in the rack, i never found a rack kit so i just sat it on a rack shelf.

I found the manual , but I can't find info what is the proper transceiver this switch will need ?

thought the same thing, i called them, they didnt have any specific make/models either...so i just picked up the ones from my original post and they work with no problem, or tinkering. such as these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Finisar-FTL...Transceiver-/151644926550?hash=item234ebdf256 the exact model i am using is Finisar FTLX8511D3

Thanks a lot. I'll get the same if I get the switch. I wonder why there is no documentation on transceivers. Many switches are like that , like it doesn't matter what you are going to put. I always try to go by the book , to avoid future problems and headaches.

Thanks a lot. I'll get the same if I get the switch. I wonder why there is no documentation on transceivers. Many switches are like that , like it doesn't matter what you are going to put. I always try to go by the book , to avoid future problems and headaches.
I called and spoke to a tech, they said all transceivers will work, they dont have a approved list, i gave them a few reference XFP's and they said they will all work, i went with the Finisar ones b/c of there cost

Your input is priceless - when someone tell you exactly what to get that will works, not just "general idea" what should work.

Your input is priceless - when someone tell you exactly what to get that will works, not just "general idea" what should work.
I do my best, it seems the price has only gone up and up, the price i just saw for my switch was 500....considering i got mine for 400$ either someones been buying them up driving up cost, or they're becoming hard-ish to find...not sure. But alot of the XFP's ive purchased as well have been bought up too... meaning i should get some more and spares soon :P , if you do get the switch just make sure you get the right kinda fiber (i use the aqua OM3) LC-LC MM (multimode) and you get the NULL modem cable to be able to connect to it and turn on ssh/telnet

You are absolutely right. They are 2 options for $500 used and for $999 that claims brand new, I already purchase the proper cables and null modem cable for my Dell 5548 that jgreco recommend so I am already in the water with 2x10Gb ports.

Now before I spend the money I would love to hear from jgreco on his opinion. He save me in the past from getting the wrong switch , and i am gonna need his help again. It comes down to 2 choices:

Should I get Fujitsu XG2000R for $500 or should I wait and save for dell 8024F for $1900 ?!

I just don't want to get one thing and then realize I should've got the other. For home use it's not a cheap mistake to make when choosing 10Gb switches.

I do my best, it seems the price has only gone up and up, the price i just saw for my switch was 500....considering i got mine for 400$ either someones been buying them up driving up cost, or they're becoming hard-ish to find...not sure. But alot of the XFP's ive purchased as well have been bought up too... meaning i should get some more and spares soon :p , if you do get the switch just make sure you get the right kinda fiber (i use the aqua OM3) LC-LC MM (multimode) and you get the NULL modem cable to be able to connect to it and turn on ssh/telnet

I purchase one switch for $350 ( made an offer) and now it time to get some transceivers. I was looking on ebay for Finisar FTLX8511D3 and I notice some are Finisar FTLX8511D3-IT some are just Finisar FTLX8511D3 some are Finisar FTLX8511D3-HP is this matter ?!? I don't know what that stands for ?!

P.S Some transceivers are dell brand but carry model name : FTLX8511D3 ?!?

I bought the D3 ones...i dont think being labled Dell *should* really matter... heres a listing for regular Finisar ones http://www.ebay.com/itm/Finisar-FTL...Transceiver-/191649231024?hash=item2c9f2f30b0 or http://www.ebay.com/itm/FTLX8511D3-...Transceiver-/121663462293?hash=item1c53b51b95

I came across this listing , but wasn't sure if this "IT" matters. It is FTLX8511D3-IT and some models are FTLX8511D3 , without this IT at the end ?!
So you are saying it doesn't matter , do you know what is stands for ? If you don't know I will just get exactly what you got , if that is tested and works by you.

I came across this listing , but wasn't sure if this "IT" matters. It is FTLX8511D3-IT and some models are FTLX8511D3 , without this IT at the end ?!
So you are saying it doesn't matter , do you know what is stands for ? If you don't know I will just get exactly what you got , if that is tested and works by you.
As far as i would be concerned, long as it says SR (short range) and is 850mm. I dont a difference, check the return policy and long as its returnable id give it a go

As far as i would be concerned, long as it says SR (short range) and is 850mm. I dont a difference, check the return policy and long as its returnable id give it a go

Which one is the one you have ?

Which one is the one you have ?
I have the regular FTLX8511D3 no IT, or any other markings i can determine, the seller i got all of mine from has no more listed.

I have the regular FTLX8511D3 no IT, or any other markings i can determine, the seller i got all of mine from has no more listed.

I'll get the same then. I already order 4 without markings, I'll just look around for more. I can't thank you enough. The switch is already shipped, I will download the manual and start learning CLI. I'll get some universal rack ears to make it look nice on the rack , since it don't come with rails. Originally it does come with rails not just rack ears , I assume because it too heavy, will see about that.:smile: