10 Gig Networking Primer

10 Gig Networking Primer

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
As an update, I ended up getting two x520-da1 from ebay and a copper SFP, all for around than $100. The connect my FreeBSD webserver and FreeNAS, acting as an NFS server.

I increased the frame size to the card's maximum of 9710, and am benchmarking the link with iperf at nearly 10Gbps either direction. My server can write over NFS at 563MBps and read at 257MBps.

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Duderino2020

Dabbler

FNoob

Cadet
Hello everyone, a noob home user (needs help) so please take it easy on me:
First of all, I wanna thank the OP @jgreco and all other geeks and gurus who anticipated in this thread. I've done some reading about 10GbE and to get some idea about it
Second, I've already decided to change my 1GbE into 10GbE, but I need some insight or inspiration regarding what I've already chosen, and whether they're gonna be compatible with my CONSUMER-GRADE hardware (MoBo + CPU and what not) and (freenas 9+) or they're ONLY intended for SERVER-GRADE hardware !!!

The NICs I'm planning to buy are 3 of these Intel X520-DA1 (55 bucks/each) :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-X520-...519197&hash=item5d73a229a8:g:gMgAAOSwDvFZdinN
The switch in mind is this (it has 4*SFP+) and it's within my budget:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MCZNW5G/ref=twister_B010NPWBGW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

As for cables, I'll go with whatever is compatible with these NICs and the switch, and whatever works (and price-wise) either DACs or SFP+ Transceivers with fiber if the NIC is capable ... any suggestions are welcome ;)
Maybe some of these 1-3 Meter :
https://www.amazon.com/10Gtek-SFP-H10GB-CU1M-10GBASE-CU-Passive-1-Meter/dp/B00SM59Q14/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1507418011&sr=8-2&keywords=10gbe+dac&th=1

Now after too much headache, here are my questions :
1- Are these NICs compatible with consumer grade hardware or ONLY intended for server grade ?
2- These NICs have the Intel 82599 (while) the ones on the FreeBSD HCL are 82598EB (under the ixgbe(4) in all FreeBSD 9+10+11 :
https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/hardware.html#ethernet

3- what do you think about the switch ? OK ? stay away from it ? look somewhere else ?
I'm just a home user and I don't need a very advanced stuff, just need some speed to transfer 30+TB from NAS to NAS
4- Can these NICs work with fiber SFP+ Transceivers and optic wires ?

Thanks for taking your time reading, and thanks in advance for any feedback :)

Stryf

Dabbler
1. You can buy those Intel x520-DA1 for consumer use. Buy those cards quickly as they go for around $90+ on the bay.
2. That NIC uses ixgbe driver on freenas 9.10 and up (i think lower but not sure).
3. No comment on switch but it looks okay. I bought the Ubiquiti ES-16-XG for $550 and love it except the fan noise so either replace the fans or get fan reducer cables.
4. That NIC takes either fiber transceivers or DAC cables. I'd personally get the fiber for future proofing. DACs have higher latency and more power consumption. Sometimes the NICs you buy on the bay come with transceivers.
Cable = LC-LC 50/125 Duplex OM3 Multimode Fiber Optic Patch Cable (fire rating doesn't matter)
Transceivers = Any of the cheap $16 ones well do. Cisco/Dell/HP/Juniper

FNoob

Cadet
@Stryf
Thank you so much for your feedback. It really helps me to a lot to go for it. Intel x520-DA1 it is ;)
but I might choose this one as the other one might be a Chinese knockoff, and this one has the original Yottamark Hologram:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Int...220535?hash=item25c8c62bf7:g:i78AAOSwTglYj7Yg

And for the: Ubiquiti ES-16-XG , does it have Web access for configuration ? (please say YES). I don't like the ones with (windows Apps to configure it) as I'm using Linux and Mac and 2008 was last time I used windows.
Also, thanks for the links for cables and Transceivers, those prices are a steal :D
Just waiting your confirmation about Web configuration on the Ubiquiti ES-16-XG switch while I read about it
Again, Thanks ... that's a lot of thanks lol o_O

danb35

Hall of Famer

FNoob

Cadet
I don't have personal experience with it (yet), but I see some good feedback about the Dell X1052. Around $500-550 new (and from $300 used on eBay), 48 GbE ports, 4 SFP+, web GUI for configuration.
Thanks man, the Dell X1052 seems promising, but it really got too many ports more than I need, and will just sit there collecting some dust.

The thing is, I'm leaning towards 1 of these Ubiquiti: (more bang for the buck per number of SFP+ / $$$):
- Ubiquiti ES-16-XG Edge Switch
- Ubiquiti US-16-XG Networks
Just Wanna make some more readings and comparison about them regarding:
1- If they have a universal dual voltage (I'm in the middle east) 220v here.
2- New Model (not necessary) and reliable firmware (necessary)
3- Web GUI is a must
4- How much watts they consume ... I hope they're efficient

... Searching

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I've been really happy with my Mikrotik switch, which can do all sorts of additional things, if you want it to. It features two SFP+ ports, 24 gigabit ports, and runs efficiently enough to require no fan. It connects to the 10GBe interface (Freenas private-labeled Chelsio 520 card) via a generic twinax cable. Considering it costs about $200, this switch is a great way to serve a small office. Mikrotik also offers rack-mountable versions and likely has moved on to a more recent version than this one.

In order to get my poor laptop up to light speed, I invested in a pre-owned OWC / Akitio PCIe Helios Thunderbolt 2 enclosure that now houses a Myricom 10G card. OWC has since released a similar Thunderbolt 3 enclosure. The Myricom has a real Mac installer and it supports Thunderbolt tunneling, hence it will work out of the box in a Thunderbolt PCIe enclosure on a Mac. All relevant settings show up in the Network control panel - i.e. it behaves like a real Mac peripheral and is fully addressable via the GUI.

Prior to that Myricom, I tried to make a Chelsio 400-series card work, given that they allegedly have drivers, it's the preferred card for FreeNAS, etc. I found the Chelsio Mac support to be laughable, with instructions on how to dive down into the CLI to make stuff happen. After some back and forth with Tech support, I surmised that the Chelsio 4xx series does not support Thunderbolt tunneling (which is needed for a external PCIe enclosure). Allegedly, the 5xx series will allow Thunderbolt tunneling. Based on the puzzled feedback I got from tech support (i.e. "it should work") I suspect the lack of tunneling support in the 400-series is strictly a software issue, i.e. a great way to sell new cards.

Lastly, I would consider update the original primer to reflect the availability of SFP+ 10G copper modules. They cost a mint, however. A list of proven switches may also be very helpful.

Last edited:

bestboy

Contributor
It seems the 10 GbE SOHO train is finally starting off. ASUS and Netgear for example are starting to offer reasonably priced 10 GbE SOHO products.

FNoob

Cadet
I've already gone the Peer-to-Peer route to save some $$$ by NOT buying a 10GbE switch :
2 * X520-DA1 (single SFP+ port) for my 2 Freenas, and
1 * X520-DA2 (dual SFP+ ports) for my Linux PC
Each of my Freenas is connected DIRECTLY to my Linux ( this way gives me the flexibility of RSYNC either per dataset or individually per folder/file as needed )
I'm getting about 400+ MB/s but it's due to my terrible hardware resources 8*3TB raidz2, CPU and RAM, which I'm upgrading soon.

Last edited:

Rick Arman

Dabbler
1. You can buy those Intel x520-DA1 for consumer use. Buy those cards quickly as they go for around $90+ on the bay.
2. That NIC uses ixgbe driver on freenas 9.10 and up (i think lower but not sure).
3. No comment on switch but it looks okay. I bought the Ubiquiti ES-16-XG for $550 and love it except the fan noise so either replace the fans or get fan reducer cables.
4. That NIC takes either fiber transceivers or DAC cables. I'd personally get the fiber for future proofing. DACs have higher latency and more power consumption. Sometimes the NICs you buy on the bay come with transceivers.
Cable = LC-LC 50/125 Duplex OM3 Multimode Fiber Optic Patch Cable (fire rating doesn't matter)
Transceivers = Any of the cheap $16 ones well do. Cisco/Dell/HP/Juniper

just to confirm, an Intel x520-da2, with the fiber optic cable and and any trasnsciever will work with FreeNAS 9.10 and higher will work out of the box? I'm initially going the DAC route but at some point will switch to fiber. Furthermore, if I introduce a switch instead of doing peer-to-peer, will there be compatibility issues? thanks in advance

Rick Arman

Dabbler
I didn't notice any issues with FreeNAS Corral when I was testing it on ESXi with my Intel x520 (non-Dell rebrand) nic. Ifconfig was using vmx0 instead of the ix0 though.

On another topic, the Ubiquiti ES-16-XG switch I bought worked out fine. It has an overwhelming amount of customization options and had no issues with Unix and Intel short range transceivers.

did you have to update your the intel card drivers or anything or did it work out of the box?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
just to confirm, an Intel x520-da2, with the fiber optic cable and and any trasnsciever will work with FreeNAS 9.10 and higher will work out of the box? I'm initially going the DAC route but at some point will switch to fiber. Furthermore, if I introduce a switch instead of doing peer-to-peer, will there be compatibility issues? thanks in advance
The NIC is supported by FreeNAS. SFP+ compatibility is down to the NIC and varies.

Furthermore, if I introduce a switch instead of doing peer-to-peer, will there be compatibility issues?
The optical signal is fully interoperable, when using the same technology (10GBase-LR, -SR, etc.).

Rick Arman

Dabbler
This document is now available in the Resources section! Use the tabs above to navigate to the document itself.

The last version follows inside the spoiler tag:

I've been talking 10gigE networking with a number of people in the last year or two. Time for a resource for people to refer to.

History

In the early 1990's, we had 10Mbps ethernet. In 1996, 100Mbps ethernet. In 1999, gigabit ethernet. In 2002, 10 gigE. About every three or four years, an order of magnitude increase in network speeds was introduced. In all cases but the last, within about 5 years of introduction, reasonably priced commodity gear became available for that technology. We stalled out with 10G because the technology became more difficult. Copper based 10G wasn't practical at first. Further, and perhaps unexpectedly, it seemed that gigabit was actually finally sufficient for many or even most needs.

LACP for gigabit

A lot of people have worked around the lack of 10gigE with Link Aggregation, that is, using multiple gigabit connections from a server to a managed switch. Unfortunately, the load balancing protocols used do not provide a standard way to balance traffic to a small number of destinations, such as what often happens with fileservers. LACP kind of sucks for NAS.

10 gigabit Ethernet technologies

There's a bunch, but let's stick to the practical stuff you might actually want to use, and leave out stuff like XFP or CX4. The modern stuff you want to use boils down to just two: SFP+ and 10GBASE-T.

SFP+ is a technology that allows an engineer to put one of several different modules into a switch or network interface card. An evolution of older SFP technology, it is usually backwards-compatible with SFP. An SFP+ module is essentially a transceiver that talks to the switch and requires a "device driver" of sorts, so you need an SFP+ module that is compatible with the switch or ethernet adapter (some vendors also engage in vendor lock-in requiring you to use their own branded modules). This kind of sucks, but once you get over that hurdle, you have lots of options and it is incredibly flexible. SFP+ is available in various flavors. The ones you're likely to use:

SR optics (the word we usually use to refer to optical SFP modules) are short range, and when used with OM3 (aqua colored) fiber, can run for up to 300 meters. This is usable for any distance shorter than 300 meters.

LR optics are longer range, and when used with the proper singlemode fiber, can run up to 10 kilometers.

These are laser based products and you should not look into the optics or ends of the fiber. ;-)

Also available are direct-attach SFP+'s, where two SFP+ modules have been permanently connected together via twinax cable. These are essentially patch cables for SFP+. The downside is that sometimes you run into compatibility issues, especially when you have two SFP+ endpoints from different manufacturers who both engage in vendor lock-in. The upside is that they're cheaper and (maybe?) more durable than optics and fiber, where you need to not be totally stupid and careless with kinking the fiber.

Sadly, no SFP+ modules are available for 10GBASE-T. There are SFP modules for gigabit however.

SFP+ has somewhat lower latency and reduced power consumption compared to 10GBASE-T.

One of the biggest caveats here, though, is that once you go down the SFP+ path, you probably want to stick with it. There's no easy switching away from it except to do a forklift upgrade. (But don't feel bad, SFP+ marks you as a diehard networker.)

The Intel X520 card is an example of an SFP+ card, which is available in one and two port configurations, and -DA (direct attach) and -SR (short range) optic variants. The difference between -DA and -SR is simply that the -SR will include Intel SR optics.

10GBASE-T is the copper 10G Ethernet standard. Much more familiar to most end users, this uses RJ45 modular connectors on Category 6 or better cable. Category 6 will typically reach up to around 50 meters. This was basically a worthless standard up until recently, when several manufacturers have started to create less-expensive switches that support 10GBASE-T. Probably the most notable of these is the Netgear ProSafe XS708E, available for $800-$900.

I believe that 10GBASE-T will ultimately be the prevailing technology, but it is very much the VHS (ref VHS-vs-Betamax) of the networking world. It is an inferior technology that burns more power and makes more compromises. Most of the deployed 10G networking out there today is still NOT copper, so for the next several years, at least, the best deals on eBay are likely to be for SFP+ or other non-copper technologies.

What Do You Need?

While it is tempting to think of your entire network as 10 gigabit, in most cases this is at least a several thousand dollar exercise to make happen, factoring in the cost of a switch, ethernet cards, and wiring.

There are some alternatives. One easy target is if gigabit is acceptable for your endpoints (PC's and other clients), it is not that hard to find a gigabit switch with several 10G uplinks. The cheapest decent one I've seen in (2014) times is probably the Dell Networking 5500 series, such as the 5524, often available for around $400 on eBay. That model comes with two 10G SFP+ slots, which could be used for a FreeNAS box and a workstation at 10G, while also allowing all remaining stations to share in the 10G goodness. Now that it's 2016 we're also seeing the Dell Networking N2024, which is an entry-level Force10 based switch. If you don't mind eBay for all purchases, you can get a basic 10G setup for your NAS and one workstation for less than $1000.

We recently debated another alternative, which is to abuse the FreeNAS box itself as a bridge using FreeBSD's excellent bridging facility. This is very cost-effective but has some caveats ... primarily that you need to be more aware that you've got a slightly hacked-up configuration. Since modern ethernet technologies are fully capable of point-to-point operation, without a switch, clients can be hooked up directly to the server (via a 10Gbase-T crossover cable, or SFP+). The simple case of a single workstation hooked up to the server via a direct cable is fairly easy. Multiple workstations might involve bridging. If you wish your clients to receive Internet connectivity, that's more complicated as well.

In 2013, Netgear introduced a few new 10GBASE-T switch options including the ProSafe XS708E which offers 8 ports for a cost around $100 per port.

The Dell PowerConnect 8024F is often available on eBay for around $1800, offering a mix of SFP+ ports along with four 10GBASE-T. This is probably the cheapest option to get 10gigE for a NAS or two, some ESXi boxes, and then a few runs of 10GBASE-T for workstations.

What Card Do I Pick?

This forum has been very pro-Intel for gigabit cards, because historically they've "just worked." However, for 10gigE, there have been some driver issues in versions of FreeNAS prior to 9.3 that lead to intermittent operation. Additionally, the Intel adapters tend to be rather more expensive than some of the other options. 10gigE is not in high demand, so often some of the niche contenders have products that may, counterintuitively, be very inexpensive on the used market. These cards may be just as good a choice - if not better - than the Intel offerings. We're Intel X520 here but the following notes are gathered from forum users.

@depasseg and I note: Intel X520 and X540 are supported via the ixgbe driver. Intel periodically suffers from knockoff cards in the new and used markets. There should be a Yottamark sticker on it that'll help authenticate the card as genuine. Check the country, datecode, and MAC address Yottamark gives you, don't just blindly trust it. Not a good choice if you wish to run versions prior to 9.3. https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4560#change-23492 Also note that there's been a variety of problem reports with the X540 and TSO.

@Mlovelace, @depasseg, and @c32767a note: Chelsio is iXsystems' card of choice. @Norleif notes that the S320E-SR-XFP can sometimes be found for less than $100 on eBay. The Chelsio T3, T4 and T5 ASICs are fully supported by the current version of FreeNAS and are the cards shipped for 10gigE if you buy a TrueNAS system. iXsystems: "FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 supports the Chelsio T3 with the cxgb driver. It supports the T4/T5 with the cxgbe driver. We keep these drivers current with the latest code from the vendor. By far and away the Chelsio cards are the best FreeBSD option for 10Gbe." Also note that the S310E only supports PCIe 1, so speeds may be limited especially in an x4 slot. @Mlovelace also has found a great vendor for generic Chelsio SFP+ optics.

@depasseg and @c32767a note: SolarFlare: Some users recommend the SFN 5162F.

@Norleif reports: IBM NetXTREME II 10GBit (Broadcom BCM 57710) Works in FreeNAS 9.3, can sometimes be found for less than $100 on eBay.

@Borja Marcos notes: Beware the Emulex "oce" cards - serious issues with them, panics when moving some traffic. There is a patch (see relevant discussions on the freebsd-net mailing list) but the stock driver crashes badly.

As usual, this post isn't necessarily "complete" and I reserve the right to amend it and/or delete, integrate, and mutilate the reply thread as I see fit in order to make this as useful as possible.

Also, if you'd like to repost this elsewhere, I'd appreciate it if you would have the courtesy to ask. And to credit the source.

do the switches that say 10GB-T also support 1GB-T or are they strictly 1GB-T?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's not guaranteed, but 1GbE has widespread support. Fast Ethernet doesn't, however.

Constantin

Vampire Pig

c32767a

Patron
hello all, read through many posts here and couldnt find the info I am after(I am sure its here someplace)

I am about to pull the trigger on a Dell X1052 Switch w/ a Chelsio T520-SO-CR for the Server and can't seem to find out if I NEED a dell SFP+ cable or if any cable would work?(like this one: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA66K5TE8977&cm_re=sfp+_cable-_-12-314-980-_-Product)

The Dell switch might whine about "non-qualified optics" but it will work. If you want 3rd party cables coded to work with a particular vendor's qualification checks, you can buy components coded for just about any vendor at fiberstore - fs.com.

loch_nas

Explorer
I still don't understand which cable I have to use for certain switches and certain 10Gbit controllers.

I want to get the following hardware:
mainboard: Supermicro X10SDV-4C-7TP4F, which has 2 x 10GBase-SFP+ interface (Intel)
switch: D-Link DGS-1510-28X

for copper use:
There are generic DACs, Intel DACs, D-Link DACs. So how do I know which cable would be compatible?

the optical path:
And if I use transceivers, do I have to use an Intel transceiver on the controller side and a D-Link transceiver on the other side?

Last edited: