Resource icon

Hard Drive Burn-in Testing

@jgreco did a nice system build/test/burn-in guide here, but I (and many others) found the details a bit lacking in the hard drive section. He mentions S.M.A.R.T. tests, but doesn't go over how to run them, or how to view the results, etc. and then just kinda throws around dd commands without a lot of explanation there either. Yes, this information is available elsewhere, but for somebody (such as myself) looking for a single cohesive guide to burn-in testing, I figured it'd be nice to have all of the info in one place to just follow, with relevant commands. So, having worked my way through reading around and doing my own testing, here's a little more n00b-friendly guide, written by a n00b, so please feel free to chime in with suggestions or criticisms if you have any. I'm basing this guide more off of cyberjock's post here than jgreco's guide.

UPDATE: Thanks to cyberjock, I've updated the section on badblocks to include instructions for using tmux to test all drives in parallel. Considering that badblocks with default settings takes over 24 hours for a 2TB drive, that should significantly decrease testing times, especially for large arrays.

First of all, the S.M.A.R.T. tests. The first thing that someone unfamiliar with S.M.A.R.T. tests might find strange is the fact that no results are shown when you run the test. The way these tests work is that you initiate the test, it goes off and does its thing, then it records the results for you to check later. So, if this is an initial burn-in test for your entire system, you can initiate tests on all of the drives simultaneously by simply issuing the test command for each drive one after another.

The first test to run is a short self-test:
Code:
smartctl -t short /dev/adaX

It should indicate that the test will take about 5 minutes. You can immediately begin the same test on the next drive, but you can only run one test on each drive at a time. Once it has completed, run a conveyance test:
Code:
smartctl -t conveyance /dev/adaX

Again, wait for the test to complete (about 2 minutes this time). Finally, a long test:
Code:
smartctl -t long /dev/adaX

------
Note added by @wblock 2018-01-10: this section recommended enabling the kern.geom.debugflags sysctl. Many people still think it has something to do with allowing raw writes. It does not. Instead, it disables a safety system that is intended to prevent writes to disks that are in use (say, by having a mounted filesystem). From man 4 geom:
0x10 (allow foot shooting)
Allow writing to Rank 1 providers. This would, for example,
allow the super-user to overwrite the MBR on the root disk or
write random sectors elsewhere to a mounted disk. The
implications are obvious.
To summarize, this option should generally not be needed. It only makes it possible to harm data. Any disk you are going to overwrite with data should not be mounted or have anything you wish to keep. In fact, best practice is to not be erasing or stress-testing drives on a system that has actual data on it. Since those disks will not have mounted filesystems, this sysctl will not affect being able to write to them. In fact, it will only make it possible to blow away things that are in use.
------
Now, before we can perform raw disk I/O, we need to enable the kernel geometry debug flags.

This carries some inherent risk, and should probably not be done on a production system. This does not survive through a reboot, so when you're done, just reboot the machine to disable it:
Code:
sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=0x10

Now that we can execute raw I/O, run a badblocks r/w test.​

Unlike the S.M.A.R.T. tests, badblocks runs in the foreground, so once you start it, you won't be able to use the console until the test completes. It also means that if you start it over SSH and lose your connection, the test will be canceled. The answer to this is to use a utility called tmux:
Code:
tmux

You should now see a green stripe at the bottom of the screen. Now, we can run badblocks. THIS TEST WILL DESTROY ANY DATA ON THE DISK SO ONLY RUN THIS ON A NEW DISK WITHOUT DATA ON IT OR BACK UP ANY DATA FIRST:
Code:
badblocks -ws /dev/adaX

badblocks also offers a non-destructive read-write test that (in theory) shouldn't damage any existing data, but if you do choose to run it on a production drive and suffer data loss, on your own head be it:
Code:
badblocks -ns /dev/adaX

It has been brought to my attention that badblocks has some limitations with larger drives >2TB. The easy workaround is to manually specify a larger block size for the test.

Code:
badblocks -b 4096 -ws /dev/adaX

or
Code:
badblocks -b 4096 -ns /dev/adaX

Once you've started the first test, press Ctrl+B, then " (the double-quote key, not the single quote twice). You should now see a half-white, half-green line through the screen (in PuTTY, it's q's instead of a line, but same thing) with the test continuing in the top half of the screen and a new shell prompt in the bottom. Run the badblocks command again on the next disk, then press Ctrl+B, " again to create another shell. Continue until you've started a test on each disk. If you are connecting over SSH and your session gets disconnected, all of the tests will continue running. When you reconnect, to resume the session and view the test status, simply type:
Code:
tmux attach

As with the S.M.A.R.T. tests, you can only run one test at a time per drive, but you can test all of your drives simultaneously. In my experience, the tests run just as fast with all drives testing as with a single drive, so for your initial burn-in, there's really no reason not to test all of the drives at once. Also, be prepared for this test to take a very long time, as it is basically the "meat and potatoes" of your burn-in process. For reference, the default 4-pass r/w test took a little over 24 hours on my WD Red 2TB drives, YMMV.

Because S.M.A.R.T. tests only passively detect errors after you've actually attempted to read or write a bad sector, you should run the S.M.A.R.T. long test again after badblocks completes:
Code:
smartctl -t long /dev/adaX

At this point, you have fully tested all of your drives, and now it's time to view the results of the various S.M.A.R.T. tests:
Code:
smartctl -A /dev/adaX

This should produce something like this (sorry for the formatting fail):

Code:
[root@freenas] ~# smartctl -A /dev/ada0
smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p4 amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME		  FLAG	VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE	  UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate	0x002f  200  200  051	Pre-fail  Always	  -	  0
  3 Spin_Up_Time			0x0027  175  174  021	Pre-fail  Always	  -	  4208
  4 Start_Stop_Count		0x0032  100  100  000	Old_age  Always	  -	  9
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct  0x0033  200  200  140	Pre-fail  Always	  -	  0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate		0x002e  200  200  000	Old_age  Always	  -	  0
  9 Power_On_Hours		  0x0032  100  100  000	Old_age  Always	  -	  357
10 Spin_Retry_Count		0x0032  100  253  000	Old_age  Always	  -	  0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032  100  253  000	Old_age  Always	  -	  0
12 Power_Cycle_Count	  0x0032  100  100  000	Old_age  Always	  -	  9
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032  200  200  000	Old_age  Always	  -	  4
193 Load_Cycle_Count		0x0032  200  200  000	Old_age  Always	  -	  9
194 Temperature_Celsius	0x0022  119  113  000	Old_age  Always	  -	  28
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032  200  200  000	Old_age  Always	  -	  0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032  200  200  000	Old_age  Always	  -	  0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable  0x0030  100  253  000	Old_age  Offline	  -	  0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count	0x0032  200  200  000	Old_age  Always	  -	  0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate  0x0008  200  200  000	Old_age  Offline	  -	  0

Some of the more important fields right now include the Reallocated_Sector_Ct, Current_Pending_Sector, and Offline_Uncorrectable lines. All of these should have a RAW_VALUE of 0. I'm not sure why the VALUE field is listed as 200, but as long as the RAW_VALUE for each of these fields is 0, that means there are currently no bad sectors. Any result greater than 0 on a new drive should be cause for an immediate RMA.

Once all of your tests have completed, you should reboot your system to disable the kernel geometry debug flags.
Author
qwertymodo
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 4 ratings

Latest reviews

16tb drives are fine with -b4096
With larger drives +14TB) badblocks will complain with "-b 4096".
"Value too large to be stored in data type invalid end block "

This can be fixed using larger block size:
"badblocks -b 8192 -ws /dev/daX"
Really helpful info - thanks qwertymodo.

In case it helps anyone else, I just ran into an issue trying to run badblocks on 18TB drives - it throws an error when the number of blocks to test is greater than the max value of an unsigned 32-bit integer (4,294,967,295):

root@delta:~ # badblocks -b 4096 -wsv /dev/da16
badblocks: Value too large to be stored in data type invalid end block (4394582016): must be 32-bit value

Assuming 4K physical blocks, 16TB and lower drives should be fine, but the problem will crop up on any drive 18TB or larger.

It appears there's two possible solutions to this:

1) Run badblocks with a larger block size (that's still a multiple of the drive's physical block size) - e.g. 8192, 16384, etc with 4k physical blocks. I did, however, read that using a non-native block size can cause false negatives - albeit this was anecdotal (a few mentions on forums, but I can't find a primary source).

2) Split the badblocks run into chunks of less than 4,294,967,295 blocks (i.e. each run only targeting only part of the disk). e.g. in my specific case:

badblocks -b 4096 -wsv /dev/da16 2197291008 0

followed by:

badblocks -b 4096 -wsv /dev/da16 4394582016 2197291009
Useful resource on HDD burning and the use of badblocks.
Some upgrades would be welcome like estimated time of badblocks, badblocks process and options (see Jon Bentley answer here: https://superuser.com/questions/153373/how-long-will-badblocks-vws-run) and disks temperature monitoring with `smartctl` and `grep` for instance.