11.3 stuck in reboot loop

Bill McCormick

Explorer
I've had the latest stable 11.3 running great for weeks. Now my system goes into a reboot loop when starting. I have no previous version to boot into, and I'm hoping there's some emergency mode I can boot into. I would very much like not have to reinstall.

The last change I made was attempting to enable hardware acceleration on my plex-media-server running in an iocage. I ran the command:

iocage set devfs ruleset="10" plex-media-server

I'm afraid that once the system boots and starts this jail, it's what causes the system to reboot.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Bill McCormick

Explorer
I got this going again.

I noticed that while the system was "crashing" after reboot, it took down my whole network. So I disconnected it from the network while it was restarting. At the same time, I also opened a command prompt and execute iocage set boot=no plex-media-server. I'm not sure which one did the trick.

Rob Townley

Dabbler
Last edited:

Bill McCormick

Explorer
Yes I do have 2 NIC's! I forgot to post back to this thread that I was able to pin this issue on both NIC's connected; system is working fine with only one NIC connected.

Rob Townley

Dabbler
Thanks for posting back. Then maybe it is a network loop problem due to lack of spanning tree running on your switches? Were you able to successfully setup a LAGG or LinkAgGregrationGroup in FreeNAS consisting of both cards?
I had to setup networking a few times for it to "stick" ... that was frustrating.

Bill McCormick

Explorer
Yea, so full disclosure: I know just enough to be dangerous wrt networking (maybe more things). This is home media server, and there are not many users.

When I first set it up (about 5 years ago now), I think I did experiment with LAGG, hoping to create some sort of temporal distortion and watch movies before I saw them, but it never went anywhere and I just stopped playing with it.