FreeNAS 11.0-U3 SMB mangling problem on macOS

gegtor

Explorer
When browsing from macOS or ios clients file names display in way that i shown in screen shot bellow

If works okay when using AFP to connect

I tried adding
Code:
mangled names=no
to smb.conf but it had no effect

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 16.01.20.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 16.01.20.png
    230.5 KB · Views: 314

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
When browsing from macOS or ios clients file names display in way that i shown in screen shot bellow

If works okay when using AFP to connect

I tried adding
Code:
mangled names=no
to smb.conf but it had no effect

Try enable following vfs object on all SMB shares: fruit, catia, streams_xattr

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I only have fruit, catia available

When i add those nothing changes names are still broken

You can use catia to manually change the re-write rules for invalid characters in SMB. Regardless, you have to do something with files that have invalid characters in them. Either do the default 8+3 using name mangling or use catia to make it something more sane.

trommegutten

Cadet
Special characters question mark ? \ < > * etc are problematic in smb samba share and I try to get rid of them. In the meantime it's frustrating, but a workaround is to manually map these "invalid" characters to other characters.

I use FreeNAS-11.3-U1 and SMB/Samba with MacOS Catalina and have found that my temporary solution to the character problem is:
Goto Sharing>SMB>Edit
1. Choose "advanced mode" and choose "VFS objects". Checkmark "catia"
2. in the auxiliary parameters paste in the following:
catia:mappings = 0x22:0xa8,0x2a:0xa4,0x2f:0xa5,0x3a:0xf7,0x3c:0xab,0x3e:0xbb,0x3f:0xbf,0x5c:0xff,0x7c:0xa6

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Special characters question mark ? \ < > * etc are problematic in smb samba share and I try to get rid of them. In the meantime it's frustrating, but a workaround is to manually map these "invalid" characters to other characters.

I use FreeNAS-11.3-U1 and SMB/Samba with MacOS Catalina and have found that my temporary solution to the character problem is:
Goto Sharing>SMB>Edit
1. Choose "advanced mode" and choose "VFS objects". Checkmark "catia"
2. in the auxiliary parameters paste in the following:
catia:mappings = 0x22:0xa8,0x2a:0xa4,0x2f:0xa5,0x3a:0xf7,0x3c:0xab,0x3e:0xbb,0x3f:0xbf,0x5c:0xff,0x7c:0xa6
If you're having problems with this particular issue you can just enable fruit and catia, and then set the auxiliary parameter: fruit:encoding = native

trommegutten

Cadet
If you're having problems with this particular issue you can just enable fruit and catia, and then set the auxiliary parameter: fruit:encoding = native
Perfect !!! I've really googled to find something that works for MacOS, and your tip is the best :D

To other readers forget my previous suggestion. Instead do as follow:
Go to Sharing>SMB>Edit. Checkmark both catia and fruit in "VFS objects"
Then set auxiliary parameter fruit:encoding = native