Build a backup NAS with FreeNAS?

Exhorder

Explorer
Hi,

my current environment consists of several Synology NAS for file serving and backup, but my backup NAS is running out of space. I'm interested in replacing it with a FreeNAS server.
My requirement is at least 40 TB of storage space.

This is what a German server shop offers as FreeNAS ready server:
Processor: Intel Xeon D-1518 6MB / 4x 2.2GHz / 8 Threads / 35W
Memory: 2 x 32GB DDR4 ECC Registered Samsung Org.
LAN: Intel® SoC Dual 10G SFP+
Storage: 12x 3.5"/2.5" SAS/SATA 6Gb/s Hotswap Bays
Controller: LSI 2116 16-Port SAS/SATA 6.0 Gb/s IT-Mode HBA
HDD / SSD 2,5" Storage (boot drive): 2 x Intel DC S4510 SSD 2,5" 240GB SATA 6GB/s 2 DWPD
Chassis & Power Supply: ecsus® 19" 2U 12-Bay NAS Rackmount 2x650W Red. PSU
Service-Level: 36 Monate CTO/BTO Business Service w/ ARS

Therefore I can use a mirrored boot device and 10 drives for storage.

I guess the hardware configuration will be fine?

If all you're doing is using it for backup I'd say some of this may be overkill.

Processor: Intel Xeon D-1518 6MB / 4x 2.2GHz / 8 Threads / 35W
This is a relatively low-powered CPU. If you're just using it for backups, it is fine. Being a SoC you won't be able to upgrade the CPU in the future though; keep that in mind. I personally have avoided SoC builds so I can upgrade in the future; but perhaps this isn't as important to you for this purpose.

Memory: 2 x 32GB DDR4 ECC Registered Samsung Org.
If this is just a backup server I'd say this is way more memory than you need. 16GB or even 8GB is plenty. If you go with 1x 8GB module you can always expand in the future.

Storage: 12x 3.5"/2.5" SAS/SATA 6Gb/s Hotswap Bays
This is very vague; does it come with HDDs? If so, exactly which models?

For a backup setup at 40TB in 12 bays I'd suggest you consider lower rpm drives in high density in RAIDZ2 or RAIDZ3. You may also consider leaving 2 bays open which you can use to burn in new drives and replace failed/failing drives. Keep in mind too that you generally don't want to go over 80% utilization of available space. With that in mind here is your approx effective usable space with either 6 or 8TB drives in RAIDZ2 or RAIDZ3. 6TB RAIDZ2 = 38.4TB, 6TB RAIDZ3 = 33.6TB, 8TB RAIDZ2 = 51.2TB, and 8TB RAIDZ3 = 44.8TB. Of course, these are just suggestions and the exact pool layout will depend on your specific needs.

Exhorder

Explorer
1. Yes, my imperssion was that CPU power does not matter for a backup NAS.
2. RAM is indeed overkill. But on the other hand it's by far the cheapest thing in the server 2x32 GB = 250 €. Probably I will use 2x16 GB (160 €). The server has 4 slots in total, so it can be extended in the future.
3. It comes without HDDs and I'll add them myself.

I'm not sure about pool setup, yet. Actually thought about 8-10 drives with 8 or 10 TB. RAID-Z2 or RAID-Z3, e.g. 8x 10 TB in RAID-Z2 (~48 TB).

Exhorder

Explorer
I'm looking for business grade hardware: 19" rack, redundant PSU, 10G SFP+

1. Yes, my imperssion was that CPU power does not matter for a backup NAS.
If all you're doing is using it as a file server with few connections, no encryption, etc then yes, the CPU doesn't need to be powerful. But if you want to run a lot of VMs, have a lot of concurrent users, etc you may find your CPU lacking.

RAM is indeed overkill. But on the other hand it's by far the cheapest thing in the server 2x32 GB = 250 €. Probably I will use 2x16 GB (160 €). The server has 4 slots in total, so it can be extended in the future.
Generally I recommend you go with the largest modules your motherboard will support. This way you can expand the memory in the future without tossing old memory. If you really don't need it save the money though and go with 1x 16GB and use the money elsewhere perhaps?

I'm looking for business grade hardware: 19" rack, redundant PSU, 10G SFP+
What draws your attention to 10G NICs? Are you planning on having a lot of concurrent users? Are you using sync writes at all? If so, you'll likely need a SLOG to make use of the > 1G NIC.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...4966.html?spm=a2747.manage.0.0.5d7c71d26mEUl6,

Motherboard:6 bays HD
CPU :4 core Intel
Memory;4GB DDR 1600 64G SSD
PSU :FLEX PSU
System:Linux support 6 .3.5 inch hard drive
Network Connection:2 gigabit Ethernet
The quasi-system power consumption:20W
Cooling fan:12cm mute cooling fan
I wouldn't recommend this hardware. For one it has only 4GB of memory and FreeNAS has a minimum requirement of 8GB. Furthermore, it won't even tell you which CPU it is.

I'm extremely skeptical of any site selling hardware which won't list the exact model numbers of what it uses. What NICs does it use? Are they Realtek or Intel? Why does it say Linux support? Is that just a marketing line or does it have something preinstalled?

For $400 dollars you can get something used off of ebay which has known parts etc and has more drive bays, expandability, etc.

Exhorder

Explorer
My requirements are for now:
Backups from various Synology NAS using Synology Hyperbackup. Therefore I need a rsync-server on the FreeNAS backup host. No idea, if sync or async writes are used here.

In near future:
Backups from an Proxmox VM host, that mounts the backup dir via NFS and stores backup images there. I guess I can mount NFS sync or async?

Maybe later:
I may build a FreeNAS fileserver in the future that should backup it's data using zfs send. Sync/async?

Backups from an Proxmox VM host, that mounts the backup dir via NFS and stores backup images there. I guess I can mount NFS sync or async?
NFS will use synchronous writes. You may consider looking into getting a SLOG device (or a pair) if you want to use 10G NICs.

Exhorder

Explorer
What about SMB? IIRC it uses async writes. So maybe it's better to use this instead of NFS.

So maybe it's better to use this instead of NFS
I'd say "better" is a function of your preference for SMB vs NFS in general and whether you want sync or async writes. If you use NFS and are unhappy with the performance a SLOG will likely help, but will add a bit of cost to your build.