1 WebDAV share not showing underlying files & folders

Inxsible

Guru
I have 4 shares that I share via NFS. Since my wife got a new Chromebook, I thought I'd also share the same via WebDAV for easier access instead of trying to muck around with NFS on chromebook.

Anyway, 3 of my shares work great, -- I can access them via the web browser as well as Thunar (on my Archlinux box). However 1 share for the "documents" doesn't show anything in the web browser except "Parent directory".
1568212414207.png

When trying the same in thunar, I get "Not a webdav enabled share" error.
1568212445059.png

I have triple checked the share settings and apart from the share name and path, everything else is the same as the other working WebDAV shares. Any pointers on how to get this document share working with WebDAV?

Inxsible

Guru
I have also seen this error when somehow it connects -- asks me for the username and password and then shows me this error
1568223745758.png

D

dlavigne

Were you able to resolve this? If not, does updating to 11.2-U6 resolve it?
Anything in /var/log/messages when the share is inaccessible?
Have you tried a file manager other than Thunar or other web browsers?

Inxsible

Guru
Were you able to resolve this? If not, does updating to 11.2-U6 resolve it?
No I haven't been able to resolve it. I just upgraded to U6 about an hour ago, but I still have this issue
Anything in /var/log/messages when the share is inaccessible?
When exactly do you want me to look at the logs? I tried accessing docs from my Chromebook, but I didn't see anything in the logs related to that being updated.
Have you tried a file manager other than Thunar or other web browsers?
I have tried firefox and chrome browsers. Only Thunar when it comes to file managers. But then again, the other 3 shares work just fine in all browsers and thunar.
The "webdav" user needs access to the path in question.
But it would need access to my other shares too. and i did choose the option to make the files be owned by the webdav user in all my shares. "Change user & Group Ownership"

I even tried deleting that webdav share and creating a brand new one with the name "documents", but still nothing.

Inxsible

Guru
Here are the documents which are all owned by the webdav user :
Code:
root@nas:/mnt/tank/home/inxsible # ls -la /mnt/tank/documents/
total 110
drw-r--r--  11 webdav  webdav  11 Apr 16 23:09 .
drwxr-xr-x   8 root    wheel    8 Jun  3  2018 ..
drw-r--r--   2 webdav  webdav  16 Jun  2  2018 apartment
drw-r--r--   4 webdav  webdav  14 Mar  1  2019 docs
drw-r--r--   2 webdav  webdav  19 Jun  2  2018 health
drw-r--r--   6 webdav  webdav  21 Mar  1  2019 house
drw-r--r--   7 webdav  webdav  11 May 22 16:44 manuals
drw-r--r--   7 webdav  webdav  11 Apr 23 21:00 resumesTemplates
drw-r--r--  21 webdav  webdav  23 Apr 13 12:13 tax
drw-r--r--   8 webdav  webdav  11 Apr 16 23:06 vehicles
root@nas:/mnt/tank/home/inxsible #

It's the same as my 3 other shares which do work (with different files of course)
Here is the /mnt/tank folder which also shows the same ownership for all 4 of my shares. Not sure why the documents share is not showing the underlying files/folders in my webdav share
Code:
root@nas:/mnt/tank # ls -la
total 44
drwxr-xr-x   8 root    wheel     8 Jun  3  2018 .
drwxr-xr-x   4 root    wheel   192 Sep 20 14:00 ..
drw-r--r--  11 webdav  webdav   11 Apr 16 23:09 documents
drwxr-xr-x   3 root    wheel     3 Jun  1  2018 home
drwxr-xr-x   2 root    wheel     2 Jun  3  2018 jails
drwxr-xr-x  10 webdav  webdav   10 Apr 23 15:56 media
drwxr-xr-x   5 webdav  webdav    5 Aug 31  2018 memories
drwxr-xr-x   6 webdav  webdav    6 Jun  2  2018 work

Inxsible

Guru
While pasting the output above, i noticed that the documents folder was set up as 644 whereas the other shares were set up as 755. So I changed the permissions of "only" the documents folder to 755 while still keeping the underlying files/folders at 644 because i don't need my documents to be executable.

In any case the minute I changed documents to 755, i was able to see all the underlying files from a webdav enabled file manager and even the browser.

Can someone please explain why that would be the case -- I mean the the share was owned by webdav, why would it need to be executable in order for it to show it under webdav.

anmnz

Patron
Because the "executable" flag on a directory allows you to enter the directory and access the files it contains. The "readable" flag on a directory merely lets you list the names of the files in the directory. Most of the time you will want to grant execute permission on a directory along with read permission. Although certainly not unheard of, there are relatively few cases where you want one and not the other.

Last edited: