Howto setup network correctly

Peque

Dabbler
Hi Forum
Just thinking about changing from normal Debian Samba to Freenas.
I have a HPE Proliant - where i have a native NIC onboard and 2 PCIe NICS.
So here's my plan
Native NICS:
Administration interface --> vlan10 --> 172,16,10.11/24 --> Static IP
This should be the only interface to administrate the Freenas
PCIe NICS
Share Interface --> setup as link aggression - LACP - -> vlan20 --> 172.16.20.50/24 --> DHCP (static lease)
This should be the NIC to access any share on the freenas.
My question is how I acomplish this. since I'm in doubt on in which way i can create this setup. I've tried several times - but ending up with loosing the connection, whne I try this. Not sure if its the order I'm doing this.

I've tried to start with creating the vlan and then add the interface, I've tried setting static IP on onboard NICS - but each time I'm ending up with no connection to the nas ( even though it says its has network connection) so if I would like this setup - in which order should I create this - is it the best way through GUI or Shell ?

thanks in advance
P

Peque

Dabbler
Well I can make it so far and still not getting why I can't access the secondary network
I want this setup - so the Nas can only be administrated from the ADMIN interface - as 172.16.10.11 - and then the PCIe NIC on another subnet only for sharing access

Onboard NIC - Set by DHCP - getting 172.16.10.11 as expected

PCIe - created lagg0 as LACP - setting the IP as 172.16.20.50 with /24 mask .So it'll look like this in the interface menu
Freenas1.PNG

Then I create a static Route for this subnet 172.16.20.0/24 --> GW 172.16.20.1 - the reboot

I can still get in the 172.16.10.11 (AS DHCP ) and administrate the freenas - But not getting any connection from my PCIe.
There's link showing on the NIC directly - but in the Interface shows media as Down - even though there 2 cables attached and are link -but this still shows media as down - So I do not know where I'm going wrong here since I cannot make the network settings as wanted.

My issue - I guess the prioty to do the setup - so my question would be - in which order you have to do the differnet things here.

Peque

Dabbler
I have a HP v1910-48G which I configured the setup as LACP which is active - so I cannot figure out why I'm getting this error - since everything else on that subnet are pingable - accessable etc.
1566721824406.png

So somewhere somehow I must do smething wrong in this setup - but I'm blind - so pleade advice here

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So this is kinda opaque. Go open a shell and see what the status of "em0" and "em1" are using ifconfig. lagg0 won't work until em0 and em1 are linked and happy. Then work on getting the LAGG to come up. If active doesn't work, try passive modes to see if you can determine what's going on. You have to make sure that the underlying bits of your networking are set up correctly before you heap more complications on top.