Changing Boot Drive

Mr Onion

Dabbler
Good Afternoon all. A noob Question for you. I have read through previous posts and sort of read the docs, so I *think* I have got the procedure right but I would much rather check before screwing the whole thing up.

I have a 60gb Kingston ssdNOW drive sitting in the draw doing nothing so I thought it would be better used as the boot drive in my NAS. From my (very bad) memory the current one is a nameless 16gb drive I picked up somewhere.

If I have this correct the procedure is:-

1) Save the Config File
2) Physically replace the drive
3) Install FREENAS on the drive
4) Upload the config File

and everything should work as it was with the old boot drive.

Am I missing any steps and are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

TiA

pschatz100

Guru
That is pretty much it. As a safety precaution, I would disconnect your data drives so there will be no way to mess them up. After you have the system configured on the new boot device and the new FreeNAS install is working OK, then you can import the pool. Be aware that if your data pool is encrypted, there are some extra steps you have to take to insure that you will be able to import them properly.

Mr Onion

Dabbler
Thanks for confirming this for me. The pools are not encrypted so thats not an issue for me. I would disconnect the data drives as a matter of course anyway (I should have mentioned that before) I always do the same when updating the Windows PC for the same reasoning.

... and if it does all go belly up I can always put the existing boot disk back can't I?

Last edited:

blueether

Patron

Mr Onion

Dabbler
Thanks for confirming that its pretty ID 10 T proof. I'll have a go when I have some more mental energy.

pschatz100

Guru
As a matter of course, I always double check that the network settings and email settings were reinstated properly. Other than that, the process is pretty straightforward.