Data taking up double the space

brmo

Cadet
I have had my FreeNAS operating for some time now and I am having a big issue with the same data taking up twice the space on a new pool.

Essentially I have a Striped pool containing 2 4TB drives which has my media on it. The portion I have tried to move right now is 3.5TB. I have made a new RAIDZ2 pool with 6 8TB drives. When i copy the content over to it, it doubles in size on the destination array when looking at the web interface datasets view and when doing a du -sh <folder> but when I look at the individual files, they are the same sizes. When I add up those files in the folder, they also match the source. So why does a du-sh show double space used. This makes no sense to me! The dataset shows the number of copies as 1 so I am not seeing an issue there.

Anything I am doing wrong?

MikeyG

Patron
Are there snapshots on the destination pool that might be taking up space? Can you include any screenshots of what you are seeing?

brmo

Cadet
Are there snapshots on the destination pool that might be taking up space? Can you include any screenshots of what you are seeing?

There are no snapshots.

Source:
root@NAStastic:~/# du -sh /mnt/Data8TB/Media/Usenet/TV/
3.5T /mnt/Data8TB/Media/Usenet/TV/
After copying to new destination:
root@NAStastic:~/# du -sh /mnt/Data/Media/TV/
7.1T /mnt/Data/Media/TV/

Listing an example folder on the destination dataset/pool: You can see the total is approximately 20GB. But if you add all those files up by MB, it comes up to approximately 10GB.
1563840358758.png

MikeyG

Patron
Not sure then. You said you had your Freenas for some time. Might want to share version and as much info about your hardware and pool as you can so others can help. Shooting in the dark, but I'd check ashift, compression, if you customized anything on the dataset after creating it. I'd try copying a snapshot instead of a file copy to see if that makes a difference.

brmo

Cadet
FreeNAS 11.2 U5
i7-4770 with 16GB RAM
2 WD Red 4TB in a striped pool
6 WD White Label 8TB in a RAIDZ2 pool

djb

Explorer
I have the same issue with TruenasCore 13, dataset is over 100GB (on truenas web ui under datasets) but the actual data on disk is 47GB.
Does this coming from snapshots ? Since snapshots are only changes, the changes i have are under 1GB per month, and the snapshot retention is 2 weeks, so it doesn't make sense...
Anyone faced this issue again in the past ?