Deluge download speed issues

walk1355

Dabbler
Hey all. I've had this issue for a while and have tried figuring out what is causing it and haven't been successful in getting to the bottom of it.
This is what is going on:
When I download torrents in Deluge, my download is getting maxed out around 50MBps (400mbps). I have a 1000/1000 fiber line that pulls a constant 940/940 when I test the line. My entire network is at gb speeds. It happens even with torrents that have thousands of seeders that I can get 900+ speeds on a different machine, I just can't get that speed in deluge on freenas. I can transfer files to and from my server at 900+ mbps speeds with no issue, so I know the server is interfacing at gig speeds. I have checked my settings in deluge, and as far as I can tell, there isn't anything restricting my speeds.

Any ideas? Hoping someone has experienced something like this before.

gt2416

Patron
Have you tried transmission ? This could narrow your issue down to deluge or FreeNAS downloading torrents. I can torrent at 100MB/ps (almost theoretical max) but at 20MB/ps through a vpn, which is expected.
I too have 1000/1000 fiber(Fios) and I notice my router ramps up a TON when Im torrenting, so maybe look into that ?

walk1355

Dabbler
Have you tried transmission ? This could narrow your issue down to deluge or FreeNAS downloading torrents. I can torrent at 100MB/ps (almost theoretical max) but at 20MB/ps through a vpn, which is expected.
I too have 1000/1000 fiber(Fios) and I notice my router ramps up a TON when Im torrenting, so maybe look into that ?

Ok, after several months of being very busy, I finally had some time to allocate to this issue. To answer your question gt2416, yes, I have now tried transmission and the result was the same. Router isn't the issue as I can download torrents at my max speed with a windows machine.

I also tested my network speeds within freenas and it operates at 1gb speeds as well.

Yesterday I installed a single 2tb drive into a new pool and tested the speeds in deluge on this new pool with the single drive and I still capped out around 50mbps.

Any other ideas?

hoserama

Dabbler
I experienced the same problem and found the issue to be associated with how libtorrent defaults are set. libtorrent is used by both Transmission and Deluge which is why the problem exists in both. The out of the box installation of torrent clients both does not tweak the libtorrent settings. While i'm sur eyou can manually tweak the libtorrent config file, i am lazy and wanted to take the easier approach.

I run Deluge and fixed it by adding a Deluge plugin:

1) Add the 'ltConfig' plugin found on https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Plugins to your Deluge installation
2) Once added, you can access and modify the libtorrent settings via Deluge. I went through and tweaked individual settings although you can select a 'High Performance Seed' preset
3) You may need to restart Deluge afterwards

Once I did this, i found Deluge able to easily max out my gbit fiber connection.

walk1355

Dabbler
I experienced the same problem and found the issue to be associated with how libtorrent defaults are set. libtorrent is used by both Transmission and Deluge which is why the problem exists in both. The out of the box installation of torrent clients both does not tweak the libtorrent settings. While i'm sur eyou can manually tweak the libtorrent config file, i am lazy and wanted to take the easier approach.

I run Deluge and fixed it by adding a Deluge plugin:

1) Add the 'ltConfig' plugin found on https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Plugins to your Deluge installation
2) Once added, you can access and modify the libtorrent settings via Deluge. I went through and tweaked individual settings although you can select a 'High Performance Seed' preset
3) You may need to restart Deluge afterwards

Once I did this, i found Deluge able to easily max out my gbit fiber connection.

That has definitely helped. It increased my downloads from 40MB per second to about 55MB. I did quite a bit of searching on which settings to tweak to increase it even more, but nothing I did seemed to help.

hoserama

Dabbler
That has definitely helped. It increased my downloads from 40MB per second to about 55MB. I did quite a bit of searching on which settings to tweak to increase it even more, but nothing I did seemed to help.

I reviewed the libtorrent manual which describes what each setting is for. While i do not recall exactly what i had changed from the presets, i do recall increasing some of the values considering the gbit connection speed and memory/cpu dedication for the service. Below are the settings i have:

active_dht_limit - 600
active_track_limit - 4000
allow_multiple_connections_per_ip - checked
allow_fast_set_size - 0
cache_buffer_chunk_size - 128
cache_expiry - 30
cache_size - 65536
checking_mem_usage - 320
connection_speed - 500
connection_limit - 8000
dht_upload_rate_limit - 20000
file_pool_size - 500