AD integration limited to SMB share?

Ender117

Patron
I am just wondering that is AD can only be used with SMD file share? For example, is it possible to login the web interface with a domain account? When I search for AD FreeNAS people seems to only talk about smaba/SMB but I just want to make sure.

seanm

Guru
I believe the AD support comes from Samba (www.samba.org), which is also the software that gives SMB support, so it wouldn't surprise me, though I don't know for sure.

The web interface I think only supports root, not even local users.

Ender117

Patron
I believe the AD support comes from Samba (www.samba.org), which is also the software that gives SMB support, so it wouldn't surprise me, though I don't know for sure.

The web interface I think only supports root, not even local users.
interesting. Not able to use domain account for web gui is kind of expected, but root only? Shouldn't that be considered a security risk?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
interesting. Not able to use domain account for web gui is kind of expected, but root only? Shouldn't that be considered a security risk?

Many SMB-related management tasks can be handled by using the 'Computer Management' MMC snap-in. It defaults to allowing "Domain Admins" access, as well the `SMB admin group` selected under Services->SMB.

Ender117

Patron
Many SMB-related management tasks can be handled by using the 'Computer Management' MMC snap-in. It defaults to allowing "Domain Admins" access, as well the `SMB admin group` selected under Services->SMB.
what kind of task for example? I am only aware that you can change share permission via windows client

Ender117

Patron
You can view currently open files and close them. I could possibly expand it to creating new SMB shares. What sorts of admin tasks do you want to do?
Well actually anything you can with web GUI, disk/pool/shares/etc.... But viewing current SMB session and shares is certainly a big part of it, especially I am currently bugged by poor SMB performance on linux VMs (30MB/s vs 700MB/s on windows VMs)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Well actually anything you can with web GUI, disk/pool/shares/etc.... But viewing current SMB session and shares is certainly a big part of it, especially I am currently bugged by poor SMB performance on linux VMs (30MB/s vs 700MB/s on windows VMs)

I haven't heard about poor performance from linux clients. What distro / version?

Ender117

Patron