Burn-in time temperature log supermicro

pro lamer

Guru
Hi,

I'm looking for advice.

I'm planning a supermicro X10 (Xeon E5) or X11sch-f (Pentium/core i3 with Xeon entry upgrade path) IPMI equipped motherboard purchase
It'd be a part of a new build. The rig will be placed on a shelf near the kitchen ceiling (harsh and warm environment). I'm ready to start with a weak CPU (TDP and price of the fastest E5/E-21xx/i3-xxxx might be too high for such a warm place)

My plan is to cool the CPU with a low profile cooler. I guess I need to monitor the temperature from the very first day.

I'd love to check the temperature within the first one, two or three weeks - if I learn this way my environment is too warm I can return some components and switch to some low profile build or rethink things...

Other PCs I have: a laptop but can't be running 24/7

I'm worried if the motherboard's BMC (or whatever it's called) stores the temperature log or not and whether it's available after power off (mains unplugged).

I'd like to start a short burn-in run first and then a long one overnight or 72 hours. Ideally I'd turn off the laptop for the long run time.

What caused my worries is this 2017 dated post: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...i-new-feature-power-temperature-record.18022/ suggesting the log wasn't/isn't collected automatically:
the new IPMI firmware 3.65 (for x10 boards)

now contains a nifty historical record for Power consumption and temperatures.
Not fully working yet (no temps)

If the temperature log is not collected automatically or is very short what temperature logging method would you recommend? Attaching a DAS/temporary HDD/secondary USB stick? What software to use to make sure the logs are flushed to the disk (not to loose the in-ram write cache if the CPU overheats and system hangs)?

Sent from my phone

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
With FreeNAS? Write a script that parses the output of ipmitool and writes out the values you want to a file. Or adapt one of the existing scripts that are generally used to monitor and control fans.

pro lamer

Guru
With FreeNAS?
Not necessarily, but would be ok. Any live CD/live USB seems ok to me. I know FreeNAS is not live USB but since I can install it to a USB or an SSD it would work.

writes out the values you want to a file.
I may try stdbuf recommended in thread Force flushing of output to a file while bash script is still running before I buy the motherboard with some other monitoring software to learn in advance.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I guess I need to find a filesystem that is somehow CPU hang resistant. I mean for example I have the output file on an USB then flush the file and then remove the USB without umount to simulate system hang...

Sent from my phone

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, anything that can run ipmitool will work about the same as FreeNAS.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I guess I need to find a filesystem that is somehow CPU hang resistant. I mean for example I have the output file on an USB then flush the file and then remove the USB without umount to simulate system hang...
You mean ZFS? Use sync=always if you don't want to lose a few seconds of data.

pro lamer

Guru
I'm trying with perl's FileHandle::sync method... Here is my first script version:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
# author pro lamer
use strict;
use warnings;
use FileHandle;

my $fname = '/home/USERNAME/ipmi.log';
my $fh = new FileHandle(">> $fname") or die "cant open $fname $!";
my $fname2 = '/mnt/ipmi.log';
my $fh2 = new FileHandle(">> $fname2") or die "cant open $fname2 $!";
while(1) {
    print $fh `date` . "\n";
    $fh->flush() or warn "date flush fail on $fname $!";
    $fh->sync() or warn "date sync fail on $fname $!";
    print $fh2 `date` . "\n";
    $fh2->flush() or warn "date flush fail on $fname2 $!";
    $fh2->sync() or warn "date sync fail on $fname2 $!";
    my$data = `ipmitool sdr | grep -E "Temp|FAN1"`;
    print $fh $data;
    $fh->flush() or warn "core flush fail on $fname $!";
    $fh->sync() or warn "core sync fail on $fname $!";
    print $fh2 $data;
    $fh2->flush() or warn "core flush fail on $fname2 $!";
    $fh2->sync() or warn "core sync fail on $fname2 $!";
    print "sleeping 20s\n";
    sleep 20;
}

#the rest is useless: ;)
exit;

ATM running on Linux.

mobo Supermicro X10DRL-i
CPU 1x Xeon E5-2650L v3
RAM 1x Crucial CT32G4LFD4266 32GB LRDIMM 2666MHz (running at 2133MHz)
PSU Corsair RM850i
CPU HSF 1x Thermalright AXP-100RH
Chassis Open Case Test Bench

Last edited: