SOLVED SMB Share is hidden after upgrading to 11.2 BETA2

AVSION

Contributor
Hi,

After upgrading to 11.2 BETA my SMB Share not showing on Windows explorer and Kodi which is installed on mac mini/OSX.
i mainly uses MAC and can see the same SMB share on every machine with no issues. however when manually using the path on the Windows explorer i'm able to access the share but its still hidden on the network and kodi.
in freenas under sharing>SMB> Edit>Advanced i try to untick and then tick "Browsable to Network Clients" and "Default Permissions". in Services > SMB Local master is Ticked and rest looks ok to me and restart the service but didn't work. on kodi i can see the share via zeroconf but cannot access. also pool setting is set to windows.

Does someone had this issue? Is this is a bug if so any work around?

Thank you

AVSION

Contributor
Update: ok had some progress manage to narrow the issue pointing to KODI 17.6 and OSX 10.13.6.
i installed kodi on windows 10 and ubuntu 18.04 when adding a source and choosing SMB still not showing the share but there is an option to add the source manually in kodi "add network location" then enter the server IP, USER and Password to the source list. choosing the new source from the list the share folder is showing. however when doing the same on OSX i'm getting "operation timeout" error. i did do an update to my MAC Mini last week maybe it broke kodi smb connection. regarding windows 10 still cant see the share on explorer unless i type the path manually \\SERVERIP\SHARENAME

Thank you

Redcoat

MVP
regarding windows 10 still can't see the share on explorer unless i type the path manually \\SERVERIP\SHARENAME
That's a Windows 10 "thing" resulting from security upgrades to SMB. Lots of reference postings here in the forum.

bettodiaz

Cadet
Hello!
I am also having this issue, and previously I was able to get my freenas shared folders visible in the network.
This is also affecting my KODI setup in my nvidia shield tv.

I made a fresh install of 11.2beta and having the same issue.
I will be installing 11.1 to check if that works.

This also affect when browsing from my android phone, so it is not a windows issue.

bettodiaz

Cadet
Hello again! I installed a fresh copy of freenas 11.1 and enable smb shares and voila! The shares are visible again in windows, android, nvidia shield, etc.

I followed the same steps in both versions, but 11.2 shares never shown

AVSION

Contributor
Thanks for sharing good to know, I had a read on the 11.2 beta2 Changelog

https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/library/freenas-11-2-beta2/

it seams they have disabled SMB1 by default. smb4conf file shows
server min protocol=SMB2
server max protocol=SMB3
Meaning if the client doesn’t support the same protocol it will not work.
They made this changes as SMB1 is not secure. So I’m not how to deal with the protocol security update affects. Maybe we can make changes in the client end smb.conf so they both on the same protocol. Maybe one of the experts here can help clarifying this.

As well I think there is another problem in OSX or Kodi as I get the error explain in my previous post.

Thank you.

AVSION

Contributor
I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!! on mac all the time i saw the share in the finder and was working normally.
to see the share, open Kodi, go to "add video" and click browse, you will see the list of sources i.e SMB,AFT, Volumes...etc click on Volumes and Voila Share is available now under Volumes.
i was able to import all the movie collection into Kodi from freenas. you must be login to the share in finder to be able to show in volumes. so happy i can keep the latest version of freenas and use Kodi.
if you have windows, Ubuntu use my solution i mention above adding network source with the IP.

Thank you

avalon60

Guru
I'm have the same problem, and when I go to add videos in Kodi 17.6, then 'Browse' I get NFS filesystem, smb filesystem , UPnP, and another?? I don't get Volumes like you do. It is also the same in Kodi 18.2

AVSION

Contributor
Hi @avalon60,

What OS you run kodi on? do you see windows network (SMB) on the list as well, if so can you see "WORKGROUP" when you go to SMB? on freenas go to services > SMB > Edit make sure you enable "Enable SMB1 support"(FN 11.2 U3) or add the following line under auxiliary parameters "server min protocol = NT1"and restart the service.

cheers

Last edited:

avalon60

Guru
I forgot to say, Kodi17.6 is running on an android tv box. Yes I see windows network (SMB) and WORKGROUP, and when I selected WORKGROUP, my FreeNAS box was not in the list, but my linux machines were. Strange?? And this is after I added the line you gave and restarted the samba service.
Thanks

AVSION

Contributor

avalon60

Guru
I used to be able to access the shares on my FreeNAS machine before kodi 17, and before FreeNAS 11. I have nobody as user, don't have any groups set.
I read somewhere that Kodi 18 supports smb2 and smb3.
I've just installed kodi 18.2 on my linux laptop and I can see my smb shares after I added a network location with the ip address of FreeNAS in the server name box

Last edited: