WiFi 6 (11ax) AP deal - EnGenius

Yorick

Wizard
I've pulled the trigger on a "demo pre-order" of 2 WiFi 6 (11ax) APs, 2x2, and one 8-port PoE switch. In my case, for home use. Came to $330 with shipping; would have been $110 less without the switch. Once it ships, I have 30 days to return it, should it not live up to its promise.

I thought it was a good enough deal to pass it along. A little bit about my decision making below. I'm curious what other people are running for WiFi, too.

I'm running one WiFi 4 (11n) and one WiFi 5 (11ac) AP at home, FortiAPs. I've been missing smart-roam 11k/r functionality - my iPhone likes to "stick" to an AP, and that means as I am moving around, performance can get noticeably slow. Even for home use, some form of smart roaming would be appreciated. I don't need 11v AP load distribution: I have 6-8 wireless clients in the home, five of which are in fixed places. Everything else is wired. Very old-school that way.

That my home is low-density means I am perfectly fine with 2x2 APs. MU-MIMO doesn't really come into play here - also because of the sub-optimal placement of APs. They're at the perimeter of the home, where there is wiring, rather than in the middle. I didn't run wires through the ceiling.
This 2x2 AP connects at 1Gb/s Ethernet; it's their 4x4 that will do 2.5Gb/s Ethernet (mGig).

I've been jonesing for WiFi 6 (11ax). This is, arguably, silly. We have exactly one (1) WiFi 6 capable client in the house. So it's more a "because I can" sort of situation, not unlike, come to think of it, running a NAS instead of storing everything in a cloud :).

I wanted a solution without a yearly fee. This throws out Meraki (Cisco), Mist (Juniper), Ubiquity, Ruckus, AeroHive. I also wanted a solution that doesn't cost me 400-600 bucks per AP, and is easy to manage. There go the other more traditional players - Cisco, Aruba, Extreme Networks, Fortinet.

EnGenius fits the bill. 200 bucks for two APs is entirely reasonable. I took the switch because it can act as a controller and allows me to use their management software, which I am curious about. It also means I have one more managed switch, which gives me some flexibility with moving VLANs to places in the home that were just wired to a dumb switch before.

With just two APs, going for just the APs without the switch would have been reasonable. I do networking for a living, that's why I want to see what that management software feels like in practice.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I wanted a solution without a yearly fee. This throws out Meraki (Cisco), Mist (Juniper), Ubiquity, Ruckus, AeroHive.
Since when does Ubiquiti charge recurring fees for your network? Sure, they do if you cloud-host the controller with them, but there's no real reason you need to do that--you can run it locally (even in a jail on your FreeNAS box), or even cloud-host for free on hostifi.net for a small installation (up to 25 devices, IIRC).

Yorick

Wizard
Good to know! I had no idea Ubiquity could be run without a yearly fee. Thanks!

danb35

Hall of Famer
You don't even need the controller running most of the time--once the APs are configured, they'll merrily do their thing without a controller. You do need it to configure them, though, as well as upgrade firmware or run a captive portal. I ran my controller in a Linux VM for a while before moving it to a jail (@kjake here had a write-up on that which even automated obtaining and renewing a SSL cert from Let's Encrypt), but I'm now running one of their Cloud Keys.

Edit: Oops, not really trying to threadjack--seems hard to avoid sometimes.

Yorick

Wizard
I did ask what other people are using so you’re not threadjacking! And I’m happy I learned that Unifi can be run without a yearly fee.

Unifi is not for me at this precise point in time. I am replacing my APs because I need to scratch that 11ax itch, much to the puzzlement of the (very indulgent) spouse. No doubt 6 months from now, Unifi will have WiFi 6.

The price point was also too good to pass up.

Now whether it actually works well - His Meatballs And Sauce protect me and provided a 30 day return window. First Release is always scary.

There was another cloud WiFi provider I was looking at half a year ago, but I can’t find them now. That’s the other scary part - will my vendor of choice stick around? I guess I’ll find out :).

danb35

Hall of Famer

Yorick

Wizard
Every day, my friend, every day. I’d be floating off this rock otherwise!