Freshports -> Emby Plugin

Zwck

Patron
Could someone please pull the recent version of Emby into the plugins repository for FreeNAS, 3.5.3.0 has not been working ever since the switch was made to 11.0. However, 4.0.2.0, which has been in freshports for quite sometime now works perfectly fine.

RSVP

Explorer
This situation has info on it in various threads. It seams they have a hold on this locking it in a version that has heaps of issues accross different platforms. The current reason for having problems is because Emby is no longer open source? For me kodi doesnt sync well. Playback on android is a bit borked on picking up half way played media etc.... I think its been a better part of a year now that the plugin has had issues.. Upgrding to 11.2 has put me through constant hot fixes just to have some sort of playback. I think I need to learn how to make a proper jail and get out of the plugins because of this kind of thing. I have literally struggled for a year to get a fully functional Emby.

Zwck

Patron
yeah, it would change if FreeNAS updated their plugin repository, ez as that.

RSVP

Explorer
I wish there was an explanation as to why this is not happening.

Zwck

Patron
They only refresh the FreeNAS plugin base every quarter or so, so that they know they pull a stable version.

RSVP

Explorer
My short term plan is to get all my jails under a different os. Then at some point get out of freenas. I think i chose the wrong platforms... As for storage seems ok. Long term, if their is a better way to have sonarr,radarr,sabnzbd, and emby I am going for it long term.... Just not sure how to, without having to duplicate this many drives in another setup. I am the wrong demigraphic for freenas.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I wish there was an explanation as to why this is not happening.
There is, and you've already read it because you mentioned it above: iX is concerned about the license change.
They only refresh the FreeNAS plugin base every quarter or so, so that they know they pull a stable version.
This is approximately true, but it isn't the issue with Emby--as you also know.

Is the Emby install any more difficult than Plex? Installing Plex is literally three commands: pkg install plexmediaserver; sysrc plexmediaserver_enable=YES; service plexmediaserver start. The plugin is really pointless, as is all the complaining about it being out of date (the hard part is the storage and permissions, which you have to do manually with the plugin just as with a manual install). Is it any more involved to install Emby?

RSVP

Explorer
There is, and you've already read it because you mentioned it above: iX is concerned about the license change.

This is approximately true, but it isn't the issue with Emby--as you also know.

Is the Emby install any more difficult than Plex? Installing Plex is literally three commands: pkg install plexmediaserver; sysrc plexmediaserver_enable=YES; service plexmediaserver start. The plugin is really pointless, as is all the complaining about it being out of date (the hard part is the storage and permissions, which you have to do manually with the plugin just as with a manual install). Is it any more involved to install Emby?

The complaining is a reflection of the information that is out there.. Been on this platform for many years. And have constantly struggled with trying to solve such issues. And it usually involves a lot of reading and trying a bunch of suggestions posted that can be outdated as soon as the new update comes out.. Now I am going to try what you just wrote. I really think a lot of the user base would benefit from plugins going away and strait forward message of how to install a package in what ever jails are currently available and have that info maintained to be accurate. Then how to update them. With running info on what is happenidng with the updates on freenas so how it will effect current installation of jails. I.e keeping up with current version of freebsd. The forums have gotten a lot better over rescent years. A year ago I wouldnt even post something like this.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I really think a lot of the user base would benefit from plugins going away and strait forward message of how to install a package in what ever jails are currently available and have that info maintained to be accurate.
I don't agree, I just think Plex is a poor choice of a plugin (since, as I noted above, the work of the "plugin" is duplicated by running just three commands in the jail). But some other packages (I'm thinking particularly of Nextcloud) take quite a bit more work--my script to install it is over 350 lines long. Taking care of all that with the click of a button is a definite improvement.

Now, the three commands I posted for Plex will get it installed and running, but it's become more popular recently to keep its metadata outside of the jail--that makes it easier to recreate the jail if needed, without losing any data. That's the approach taken in this guide (both for Plex and a number of other services). But no matter how you install it, the trickiest bit is getting the storage configured with suitable permissions--and you're stuck doing that manually no matter what.
what is happenidng with the updates on freenas so how it will effect current installation of jails. I.e keeping up with current version of freebsd.
iocage should avoid most issues with this. In the past (i.e., under warden, which was the default jail manager in 11.1 and prior), a jail was pretty well locked down to the FreeBSD release under which it was created. Under iocage, it's pretty straightforward to upgrade the jails as you go along.